"NANO" Biocube question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramtin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'd really appreciate if someone tells me what i'm getting into here...

I currently have a 110g freshwater cichlid tank... I'm not planning to upgrade to saltwater BUT, i saw these "Nano" Biocubes at Big Al's...

My girlfriend LOVES clown fish and i was thinking to get a 8g one for her bedroom for her birthday... I think she'd be the happiest girl in the world but i would like to know a bit more about it...

Does anyone know how easy it's going to be to keep couple of clown fish in that Biocube? Does the package come with everything you need? so you basically need to add salt, water and fish? and how does the filtration work?... do you just clean it once in a while? how hard is it going to be for her?

Now i figure that if it's just changing water and regular additives, then it's pretty easy to take care of an 8g tank....

Thanks very much for all your help :)

Hi and welcome to AA. Would it be fish only (FO), fish with LR (FLOWLR) or a reef tank eventually? She definitely would have to do some weekly maintenance and maybe even biweekly top offs of water. Easy? It can be if you do regular water parameter checks and upkeep.

1) Get sand, dry aragonite sand works best in my opinion. Rinse this sand a lot before putting in tank, if you don't it's not a huge deal but it will cloud up the water for a few days longer.

2) get liverock and start your cycle, usually about 1-2 lbs/gallon is the general rule i think. It doesnt have to be all live rock, one piece of live and the rest base rock is fine. Try to find nicely shaped pieces, with lots of holes/caves.
Cycle your salt tank

3) Get a good test kit, the API liquid one seems to work well, strip tests suck. Test the water often looking for the ammonia to just then drop to zero. The cycle should take a few weeks, could be more.

4) once there is zero ammonia and nitrite (a little nitrate is okay), then i would do a large water change and add a clean up crew which would consist of snails, crabs, ect.

5) Let the clean up crew get used to the tank for about a week or so, no major deaths and you should be able to add a pair of clownfish.

upkeep: I would go with weekly water changes on an 8 gallon personally, this will reduce the risk of an algae outbreak and keep the fish happy and healthy. To do a water change get a bucket with a power head and mix up some saltwater that matches the salinity in your tank (1.025), most people leave it overnight so the salt mixes in completely. You could also get a heater to make the temp the same as the tank. Then you just bucket the dirty water out and clean back in. You should also only use ro/di water in your tank, this also reduces the risk for an algae outbreak since there is who knows what in the tap water. Top of the water in your tank with fresh ro/di water when it gets low, i just keep a small bucket beside my tank and do it daily.

There might be the tanks that are set up and running at the pet store as well. I would just get the water tested before purchasing it. Check the ammonia and nitrite.

Helpful hints:
-make sure the clowns are eating before you purchase them and that they are truly a mated pair, this means one is usually larger than the other and they wont fight.
-don't overfeed, this causes algae, every other day is fine for fish
-feed a variety of foods (mysis, blood worms, flakes, and brine which is not nutritial for the fish but a nice treat)
-no additives are necessary for your tank, water changes should keep all levels stable
- Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
- Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

there are also other articles on this website that would be helpful to read, I'd check them out.

Yes it would be fish only.. Would that be easier? Some water change is okay.. Like I said, how hard can it be to add to an 8g tank... Now if she decided that she wants reef... I mean what do you need to do to keep this tank going? Tnx very much

1) Get sand, dry aragonite sand works best in my opinion. Rinse this sand a lot before putting in tank, if you don't it's not a huge deal but it will cloud up the water for a few days longer.

2) get liverock and start your cycle, usually about 1-2 lbs/gallon is the general rule i think. It doesnt have to be all live rock, one piece of live and the rest base rock is fine. Try to find nicely shaped pieces, with lots of holes/caves.
Cycle your salt tank

3) Get a good test kit, the API liquid one seems to work well, strip tests suck. Test the water often looking for the ammonia to just then drop to zero. The cycle should take a few weeks, could be more.

4) once there is zero ammonia and nitrite (a little nitrate is okay), then i would do a large water change and add a clean up crew which would consist of snails, crabs, ect.

5) Let the clean up crew get used to the tank for about a week or so, no major deaths and you should be able to add a pair of clownfish.

upkeep: I would go with weekly water changes on an 8 gallon personally, this will reduce the risk of an algae outbreak and keep the fish happy and healthy. To do a water change get a bucket with a power head and mix up some saltwater that matches the salinity in your tank (1.025), most people leave it overnight so the salt mixes in completely. You could also get a heater to make the temp the same as the tank. Then you just bucket the dirty water out and clean back in. You should also only use ro/di water in your tank, this also reduces the risk for an algae outbreak since there is who knows what in the tap water. Top of the water in your tank with fresh ro/di water when it gets low, i just keep a small bucket beside my tank and do it daily.

There might be the tanks that are set up and running at the pet store as well. I would just get the water tested before purchasing it. Check the ammonia and nitrite.

Helpful hints:
-make sure the clowns are eating before you purchase them and that they are truly a mated pair, this means one is usually larger than the other and they wont fight.
-don't overfeed, this causes algae, every other day is fine for fish
-feed a variety of foods (mysis, blood worms, flakes, and brine which is not nutritial for the fish but a nice treat)
-no additives are necessary for your tank, water changes should keep all levels stable
- Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
- Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

there are also other articles on this website that would be helpful to read, I'd check them out.

Thanks very much.. I really appreciate it!

IMO it's a great starter tank, mine is doing great at just about 1 year old this month!

Edit: I agree with flake, maybe one perc or ocellaris, not two

IMO a 8g is to small for a clown, mine was so tiny when I got it a year ago and now it is nearly 3 inches and it loves it's zoom room. The shape of a cube is nice but there isn't much back and forth swimming space.

IMO big enough for a pair. I have the 14G model and I currently have a firefish goby and starry blenny (see signature) and I plan to add a percula clown a little down the road. I used to have a smaller pair of ocellaris clowns in there, but they were a bit too mean to my firefish so I returned them

This is coming from someone who overstocks his tanks, so my advice may not be best

Let us know if you decide to get the tank! Would be an awesome gift...pretty pricey, but awesome! :)

hehe yes the 14g is like about $300 CAN and the 8g is $230... she really loves clown fish but i don't have the time to take care of a saltwater tank... i also thought that if she puts it on top of my 110g cichlid tank, it will look really cool... or maybe i can build a place for it inside the stand or something! we'll see! :D

thanks for your help :)

Why not go with a standard glass tank? 20 gallons roughly? About $30 bucks possibly cheaper when holidays hit. Just get a powerhead or two and a HOB filter. I think that would be the best budget setup.

Why not go with a standard glass tank? 20 gallons roughly? About $30 bucks possibly cheaper when holidays hit. Just get a powerhead or two and a HOB filter. I think that would be the best budget setup.

since i don't have enough experience with saltwater, and i have done some research, i've found out that it's pretty easy to start a saltwater tank with these biocubes... have read good reviews about the filtration system and everything... that's why... also it's like an all in one package that can be transferred easily... so if she wants to put it in her room or whatever, it's easy.. i don't know maybe you're right but i just find this nano tank easy! if it was me i would definitely get a glass tank but for her, i don't know!

I agree with the overall ease of the all in one tanks. I have one myself, a Nano Cube 28. I do like how everything is self contained, but for the cost of one I think I would've gone with a glass tank if I didn't get my tank used and for a fraction of a new one.

I would check around Petco and Petsmart. I see they always have Biocubes new and used on sale as clearance, getting rid of their saltwater inventories. Petco especially. Saw a few Biocube 8's for around $150-$200.

I felt/thought the same thing. Besides having a larger filter volume (Compared to usual similar sized setups) the only difference between the biocube and similar setups is buying the equipment seperate and the looks. I don't think moving it would be any easier though, it's still heavy no matter what type of tank you put it in.

And if you're trying this on a budget I suggest buying things seperate, it's definitely cheaper

I agree with the overall ease of the all in one tanks. I have one myself, a Nano Cube 28. I do like how everything is self contained, but for the cost of one I think I would've gone with a glass tank if I didn't get my tank used and for a fraction of a new one.

I would check around Petco and Petsmart. I see they always have Biocubes new and used on sale as clearance, getting rid of their saltwater inventories. Petco especially. Saw a few Biocube 8's for around $150-$200.

thanks very much!

I felt/thought the same thing. Besides having a larger filter volume (Compared to usual similar sized setups) the only difference between the biocube and similar setups is buying the equipment seperate and the looks. I don't think moving it would be any easier though, it's still heavy no matter what type of tank you put it in.

And if you're trying this on a budget I suggest buying things seperate, it's definitely cheaper

Agreed. You could also skip all the extra equipment if looks are important, and get a sheet or two of glass, acrylic, and eggcrate, and make your own all in one with an overflow! :D All you really need is to make a box on the back wall and a media basket so water over flows into it, then add a wall so water flows down the basket and not through it where a return pump awaits. It would be a really nice project for you and your girlfriend to do together.

really? it's going to be cheaper? cause if you actually add up the filter, sand, rock, salt mix, and the list goes on! i think (or i thought) that it would be more expensive to buy separate... because i do have a 20g tank already that is empty! you think i should do that? now for a tank that size, what would i actually need to buy... i mean the list up there is pretty much all i know... cause i've never done saltwater so is there any special filter?

will i need a protein skimmer? if yes, what does it do exactly... there is just so much to know about saltwater... i am very experienced with freshwater aquariums... i have always successfully bred and had cichlids all my life,, it's just the saltwater that needs a lot of work!! now if you think the 20g tank will need only weekly water changes,,,, that's not a problem!

and what do you think of this? http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Sal...ets_130D-Starter-Kit_8439553_102.html?tc=fish

can someone list everything i need separate please? (including additives and everything!) i would really appreciate it... you guys are great!

Back
Top Bottom