Naso tang, raccoon butterfly, hawaiian spotted puffer, squareback anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trena

Aquarium Advice Activist
These are the newest baby inhabitants of my tank.

Attachments

• image-2046343099.jpg
    image-2046343099.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2556852849.jpg
    image-2556852849.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-15049078.jpg
    image-15049078.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1581133651.jpg
    image-1581133651.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 82
Did you add them all at once? I would keep an eye on your parameters for a few days to make sure they are ok.

I have the same squareback anthias and they can be trouble to feed so keep an eye on him too!

Beautiful fish!

No, i just added the anthias and the naso today. I added the raccoon butterfly and the spotted puffer last week. I did a 20 gallon pwc today so I will test the water tomorrow. The naso is already eating and the butterly is too. I havent seen the puffer or the anthias eat yet. So, I'm keeping an eye on them.

Trena im liking the fish, but jm worried about this tank being overstocked...to my understanding it is oy 100 gallons..and i know that youve added alot..:/

Trena has been keeping salt water for longer than you guys. She is an adult fully capable of buying a tank to fit the needs of growing fish. You don't need to worry about this one, she has done her research. ;)

absolutangel04 said:
Trena has been keeping salt water for longer than you guys. She is an adult fully capable of buying a tank to fit the needs of growing fish. You don't need to worry about this one, she has done her research. ;)

Sorry absolut, just beacuse youre an adult does not mean that you always make the correct decisions. I like Trena, but as i recall she had 3 tangs in a 55 gallon not too long ago. It does not matter how long you have been keeping fish, i wouldnt put a Naso, or Scopas in a 110 period.

So, lets hear the stock then?

You have personal experience keeping the aforemention species in such a tank that has lead you to believe it is not a good idea?
EDIT: Also - your post are destroying what little faith I previously harbored for the educational system. Please, for the love of all who must read them, format your post into something resembling proper English.

MrPillow said:
You have personal experience keeping the aforemention species in such a tank that has lead you to believe it is not a good idea?

I do not, but just reading her signature, i can tell you that most species in the stock have no business being there. Dogface puffer, scopas tang, Naso tang..these things get big and are very very active.

Edit: Sorry, but i posts are easily understandable and in proper english.

Sorry absolut, just beacuse youre an adult does not mean that you always make the correct decisions. I like Trena, but as i recall she had 3 tangs in a 55 gallon not too long ago. It does not matter how long you have been keeping fish, i wouldnt put a Naso, or Scopas in a 110 period.

So, lets hear the stock then?

Yes, experience does matter. Experience with big tanks matters. Experience with species matter. And being an adult with the money to buy a bigger tank when it is needed also matters. I am not arguing that every adult makes the right choice, I am just saying Trena has put a lot of thought into this stock and asked a lot of people, and she is fully aware of the needs of her fish.

I do not, but just reading her signature, i can tell you that most species in the stock have no business being there. Dogface puffer, scopas tang, Naso tang..these things get big and are very very active.

So you know these things, with no applicable experience whatsoever?

YEA(y) If you plan on a larger tank down the road, you would be able to keep larger fish in a slightly smaller tank when they are young. I think Trena most likley has a plan.

MrPillow said:
So you know these things, with no applicable experience whatsoever?

Do a quick google search and you'll see. I know a yellow tang won't fit in a 40 gallon, yet i have never owned one.

Absolut, the same rule applies for freshwater, which is where you are experienced. You simply do not add fish to a tank that isnt big enough. Sure, she can buy a bigger tank when its needed, but as i remember, the 110 gallon tank WAS the upgrade.

So, since i am only in highschool, does that mean that i am not allowed to buy fish that will ultimitely outgrow my tank? I'd like to know who OK'd the idea of buying a Scopas Tang...

OK, in the interest of not derailing this further. She bought small fish. She is getting a much bigger tank. People can have more than 1 upgrade. She does. She has talked about it quite a bit.
If you had the money and space to be able to get a bigger tank, then yes, you could get a scopas tang too. If you are a teenager with limited funds who has to ask permission to put a tank in your parents' house, then no, I do not recommend getting a scopas tang.

Sorry...gotta jump into the fray here, but am sitting somewhere in the middle...based on my many years of both salt and freshwater experience (but am not claiming to be an expert, by any means)...

If these fish are indeed "babies" , then she might be okay for now. Give them time to grow and I kinda agree that there are questionable fish in there. Maybe she plans to get rid of them down the road? I've known people that do that. Not my cup of tea, but I guess it works for them.

I have learned from experience that what the books or sites quote is not always totally accurate and often aims for perfection. Many people out there have wonderful set-ups, but "by the book" they are not perfect. Their fish live for years and do not show outward signs of their owners imperfections in living conditions. There are, of course, limitations and certainly rules that should be followed.

I dont mean to be off topic, but the advice given is not good in my opinion. I would not advise anyone to buy a 1" blue tang and put it in a 10 gallon and upgrade the tank from 10-20-30-40-50 etc as the tang gets larger. This is just irresponsible and bad fish keeping, which is pretty much what you guys are telling trena to do.

She is not overstocked right now, but at this rate she will be very soon. I dont think people should encourage impulse buys like this.

Absolute, i know that i have been keeping saltwater fish and researching longer then the OP.

But this conversation isnt going anywhere so good luck trena!

Back
Top Bottom