Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nassarius Vibex help

I just purchase 10 Nassarius Vibex online for my 21g, when they came there was like 25-30 of them, is that ok or to much?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Way too much, even 10 is quite a few too many. I have 4 in my 24 and think that is a bit excessive. Contact the seller or see if your lfs wants some free nassarius, as they sell them for $2-$3 a piece.

Nassarius are NOT algae eaters, they eat excess food and waste. So unless you're feeding 5 times more than your tanks need they will starve.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Unless you like to feed snails lol. I have 20 in my 29g cube and i just love shutting off the flow and watching them all rise to the surface. They clean everything I put in within about 10 minutes. I get alot of enjoyment just from my snails.

i also do the same thing in my 125g where I have 40 of them. Feeding time is soo cool in there.

But for most people that amount is excessive, i agree see if your lfs will take some.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia
Way too much, even 10 is quite a few too many. I have 4 in my 24 and think that is a bit excessive. Contact the seller or see if your lfs wants some free nassarius, as they sell them for $2-$3 a piece.

Nassarius are NOT algae eaters, they eat excess food and waste. So unless you're feeding 5 times more than your tanks need they will starve.
I'm looking at them and they are Dwarf Cerith my bad, I ordered 3 and I got 25- 30, they are small
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah, dwarf ceriths you say. So long as you have lots of algae it's fine. Just be sure to put in some strips of nori or whatnot if your tank is algae free.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And lol Carey, if I had 20 in my 24 they'd be bumping into each other constantly,50% of my sand bed is covered in rock and since it's a cube it doesn't have a large bed to begin with.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
And lol Carey, if I had 20 in my 24 they'd be bumping into each other constantly,50% of my sand bed is covered in rock and since it's a cube it doesn't have a large bed to begin with.

LOL Mine are all hidden at this second but the second I drop some flake food in---whoosh out they come. They remind me of little sand monsters that just rise shell first outta the sand. It's one of the thngs about saltwater that I enjoy so much.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well at least it's safe to say you have the most stirred sand bed in the world, lol.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No doubt. Thats an added bonus. I hate that line of schmutz in the sand bed

Tags
nassarius

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com