Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lespaulguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, what a valuable tool! Thank you already!

i have had a few freshwater aquariums, but just installed a salt water. It has been cycling for almost a month, so far so good.

Here is the question. I have just gotten back from Jamaica on vacation where I went snorkeling to see our little friends in their natural habitat, just gorgeous. I managed to get a few kong shells, live rock, and dead sea urcheon shells, and a cup or two of sand back home. Should i put that in my aquarium as is? I would have thought it would have been the best thing ever, but I reading things about boiling first ect?? Also, will this affect my cycle again?

Would love to get your opinion and guidance on this guys and gals. Thanks so much.

:thanks:

How are you cycling the tank? The sand you can probably put in as is. You may want to cure the live rock as there wil be some die off that can spike your ammonia and nitrite readings. Curing it wil also give you a chance to remove any undesireable pests that may have hitchhiked. The remainder I would clean.

I assume by "kong" shell, you mean conch (big snail shell). I personally would not use these, as fish can get way up into them and although they can get themselves out, you probably would not be able to in the event that you needed to (assuming you placed them with the opening visible). On the other hand, I guess they would be okay if you had the opening down. That's just a personal observation and it's up to you what you do.

What do you mean by cure? How do I do that?

and yes I meant Conch. lol I might just put one because I do find they are nice decor, but as you mentionned, face down.

Curing live rock is essentially putting the rock in a temperature controlled body of water with some circulation (in the absence of anything else you want to live) so that the stuff that didn't survive shipping has a chance to rot away without poisoning everything else. Any non toxic container with a heater and circulation should suffice. You're looking for ammonia and nitrate readings to go to zero in the container.

Rutrag said:
Curing live rock is essentially putting the rock in a temperature controlled body of water with some circulation (in the absence of anything else you want to live) so that the stuff that didn't survive shipping has a chance to rot away without poisoning everything else. Any non toxic container with a heater and circulation should suffice. You're looking for ammonia and nitrate readings to go to zero in the container.

Pretty sure he meant nitrItes

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Obviously, curing is done in another salt water set up right? How long approximately?

Now on that note, perfect segway to another subject. While I was gone for the week, I realized how much evaporation occured, (and no, i dont have a canopy yet, so I know that didnt help) but theoretically, how often do you have to top up your tank with fresh water? Always RODI right?

Yes always Ro/Di water and it depends on the system..I run an open sump/refugium and a semi open top on my display and top off about a gallon every 2 days..it will also depend on you return chamber if running a sump because that's the water level that is effected by evaporation and you don't want a pump sucking in air

Edit* and this is on a 46 gallon DT tank with about 55gallons of total water volume

Mrc8858 said:
Pretty sure he meant nitrItes

Yes, I did. Thanks for catching my error.

Curing could take just a few days or a couple of months depending on the die off.

Back
Top Bottom