Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

need advice for 10 gallon FOWLR

hello all,
been reading forums for weeks now and time to ask a few questions as time draws near to setting up a small tank.
my idea is this: 10 gallon glass tank, with live sand and live rock(around 10-15 pounds). a small clean up crew consisting of some snails, hermits and such will also be included. the thing that i really really want is fish. i know with such a small tank, im realisticly looking for small fish and very small quantity. im thinking for sure id like to have a true clown since they dont grow big at all, however id like to perhaps have another fish or two IF thats even possible. maybe another clown would go well with it? with this small initial setup i will be preparing for a large 120 gallon which will be a project being put together over the winter months, thus these intial fish will be going to the large tank in a few months time. anyhow, please give input.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would only go with one fish, i think a 10gal is too small for a clown, if i where you i would just wait for the fish untill you get the 129gal up and running if you must set up a tank now just do the live rock and some hermits of movement

Old 11-20-2003, 03:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hmmmm.. interesting, so you say 10 gallon is to small for even one fish eh? i was reading on a nano reef website and saw pics and people had like one or two fish so thats why i though id be ok. is there any reason you suggest none at all? or perhaps can suggest a small fish that could be kept? thanks!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:39 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I dunno...I think you could keep a small clown in a 10 for a while as long as you really stayed on top of water quality. I had a small ocellaris in a 10 and he did fine until the heater somehow got unplugged and the tank temp dropped to like 68*. Needless to say...no more clown. I don't think you'd want to try keeping a clown in there long term though as it would get too large. A small bangaii cardinal would probably be another option. Same deal as the clown...be prepared to upgrade to larger accomodations before the fish gets very large.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
Or if your still interested in something that will stay small you could look into one of the many different types of gobies that stay small such as a neon goby.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you buy a small clown he will do well in a 10 gallon with lots of care. The problem might be that clowns are really nasty fish and very territorial. If you add another fish he might end up with a really bad fight.

Since you are setting up a much bigger tank in the next few months you could always use this time to setup a tank for inverts and get them ready for the new tank.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

As a matter of fact, this month's issue of Aquarium Hobbyist magazine has a pull-out (aimed primarily at kids) that talks about 10 and 20 gallon fish only set-ups, using live sand and live rock. The clowns they advise are percula and ocellaris, (two of either) in the 10, and adding another fish to that in the 20. They also add hermit crabs and a starfish.

The article initially struck me as "no way," but think about it. LR and LS leave little room for cycling errors. . . not something you'd want a kid to fail on in his first marine attempt anyway. True clowns (percula) don't get very big, and still provide the eye-popping color a lot of people are drawn to marine tanks for in the first place. The article is very specific that other clown species are NOT suitable for either set-up, due to their ultimate size. With good husbandry, why wouldn't it work?

I'm thinking about the 20 for my office. . . .
Old 11-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks for the input everyone. i was deffinetly thinking of using true clowns(perculas) for the tank do their size vs other clows. thanks again for all the input!

Tags
10 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com