Need Advice for Touch Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patricemc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a teacher new to the area (Gainesville, Florida). I would like to set up a touch tank. School funds are tight. In the past I have received invertebrates (sea stars, urchins, biscuits, etc.) for a science supply company who uses a supplier in the Keys.

The problem has been that I also use the tank for a sea urchin embryology activity so I have an over abundance of sea urchins (14 - 16). I would like to keep everyone healthy and alive.

Ideas for purchasing equipment--cheap??
Ideas for keeping everyone alive??
Ideas??
Thanks for the help.

My lfs uses a large Composite plastic cattle feed container (I think it's a rubbermaid) that came from a Farm Fleet store. It's about 5 feet across by 24 inches deep.

There's an inch or so of sand on the bottom and the whole thing is heated by one large ebo jager and filtered by a magnum 350.

In it they have a shark, carpet anemone, big clarkii clown, stingray, urchins, 2 lionfish, etc.

Thay have had some form or another of open topped tank ever since I have known them and every inhabitant does great. They feed the inhabitants mostly live fish.

If you started one, you would be wise to get some tankwater and live sand from your friendly LFS to speed up the cycling process.

Hope that helps alittle. It is so fun to pet the stingray when he comes out of the water and flaps at you.

(edited to correct tank dimensions :) )

first question is what size of a tank are we working with?

for cheap equipment you can check out the classifieds and barter/trade section here in the community forums. You can also give e-bay a gander. There is often a fair amount of equipment up for grabs there. (although I don't know how you'd handle that using school funds. If you can purchase yourself and get reimbursed that might work)

Another question is what type of sea urchins are in the tank?

i'm sure we'll be able to help you get something together.

OH! And welcome to Aquarium Advice :!: :mrgreen:

I am so new on this forum I do not know what LFS stands for. What an interesting idea. It is bigger than I want but I think I can still use the idea.

patricemc said:
I am so new on this forum I do not know what LFS stands for. What an interesting idea. It is bigger than I want but I think I can still use the idea.
Most acronyms used on this forum will be "highlighted" and underlined. If you put your mouse cursor over something highlighted and underlined and hold it there for a second you should get a little pop up that tells you what that acronym stands for. Here's a few you'll see used quite frequently. LFS, DSB, HOB, CC, LOL, SW, FO, FOWLR, LR

Hey welcom to gainesville! I am also a residsent here.. now for almost 4 years, last year in college but my fiance will also be here for a while, med school :roll: hehe anyway.. if you want a great marine store go to aquatecture.. they are very professional kind and more for the aquarium than for profit.

Thanks for the help. Maybe it's the Mac OS but I tried to click on it with my cursor to no avail. Anyway, as to the type of sea urchins, I am going to show my ignorance. I have to give you the scientific name because it's in the catalogue. The ones I get for the embryology is eucidaris tribuloides or lytechinus variegatus.

When they send me their invertebrates they usually have a pencil urchin but the rest are the above.

Back
Top Bottom