Need Advice - New Shrimp for 12 Gallon!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

Well, my tank has been running with fish for over a month now (two months total), and my levels are:

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~5
SG: 1.023
PH: 8.3

I am planning on adding a shrimp this weekend. This is probably the only other living thing I am going to add to the tank (except maybe some live rock).

So, my question is which shrimp would be best in a 12 gallon with 2 clowns?
-Coral Banded
-Scarlet Cleaner
-Camel

I am looking for a active little guy who won't try to kill my clowns (and vice versa). The clowns have totally settled down, and are friends for now.

I am hoping whatever I get will forage the live sand and eat left over food.

Any negative/positive experiances with any of the above? Again, this is a fish only tank.

Thanks!!
Jeff

I love my cleaner shrimp. He has a lot of personality, he's always right there at the top front of tank looking to see what I'm doing. My daughter likes to let him walk on her arm and hand, he'll clean her cuticles for her (it doesn't hurt her). He's probably my favorite part of the tank. And, on top of that, he cleans the fish for them when they stop by his spot. It's very cute.

Thanks for the advice!!! Have you ever had experience of clowns harassing a shrimp?

I have a scarlet, coral banded, and a fire shrimp. I love the fire shrimp probably the best and while the coral banded looks cool, I find him to be somewhat aggressive at feeding time. He's a little bossy so to speak. That's typical of them though. If you are looking for peaceful, I wouldn't go with him. Make sure you acclimate slowly and you have no traces of copper in your tank. In addition, I have found that each time I've put a new shrimp in my tank they have molted soon after so don't be surprised to find their shell.

My clown has never harassed a shrimp. I've had them steal food though...but the shrimp typically know their boundaries.

THank you for the first hand advice Nikki!! I went with the skunk cleaner shrimp.

He is acclimating as I type this. Doing a slow drip for 2 hours or so.

Thanks again...

That's the best way and they are great shrimp! He may hide for a few but will definitely come out at feeding time!

He's in!!!!! So far so good!!!!!

It was so funny... the dominant clown was all checking him our, and the other clown was hiding back, like "GO!! GET HIM!!!" This is the coolest hobby ever!!

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 59
Packohotdogs said:
He's in!!!!! So far so good!!!!!

It was so funny... the dominant clown was all checking him our, and the other clown was hiding back, like "GO!! GET HIM!!!" This is the coolest hobby ever!!

Here's a pic...

Well, how is Mr. Shrimp today?

Hi Nikki,

Jacque (cliche, I know) is doing great!! He is moving around and even schooling the clowns at feeding time. :)

I also realized today that the little guy (or gal) is knocked up. Check out the green eggs in her abdomen. Looks cavier is on the menu for the clowns soon!!! :popcorn:

Check out the pic...

Attachments

• DSC00996.jpg
    DSC00996.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 58
Packohotdogs said:
Hi Nikki,

Jacque (cliche, I know) is doing great!! He is moving around and even schooling the clowns at feeding time. :)

I also realized today that the little guy (or gal) is knocked up. Check out the green eggs in her abdomen. Looks cavier is on the menu for the clowns soon!!! :popcorn:

Check out the pic...

LOL! It's an all you can eat clown buffet!

Back
Top Bottom