Need fast advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guyanese2006

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I have a 55 gallon saltwater FOWLR system, I have 2 percula clowns and a juvenile emperor angel about 2 and a half inches big. Yesterday I got a goldrim tang and a kole tang, after introducing them to my tank everything seemed fine. I fed them and the all appeared to get along. About half and hour later my emperor and the kole tang began slapping tails together and fighthing began. The Kole tang was then being severely attacked by the emperor.

I rearranged the rock and kept the lights off to see if the aggression would stop but it didnt. it almost looks like they all want to be on the same side of the tank.Eventually, I seperated the emperor from the others.

I don't know what else to do, has anyone had any experience with this kind of behavior before? Thank You

Too many BIG fish in too small a tank. Take the fish back to the lfs and get fish more appropriate for your tank...

Emperor
Minimum Tank Size: 100 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Goldrim Tang
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Kole Tang
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Peaceful

Even as juveniles these fish need a much larger tank (6' long) wiht lots of LR.

Tell us everything about your tank and we can help you on fish selection.

How many gallons is the tank?
How long has it been up and running with fish?
Type filter?
Describe the lighting units (type bulbs, total wattage).
What are the current water parameters? Ammonia, nitirte, nitrate, pH, salinity, temp, calcium and alkalinity. Please post numbers of results.
What else is in the tank (livestock and equipment)?

Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (aprox 30+ years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Refugiums
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Oh, and

welcometoaa.gif

I agree that you need to return some of the fish. You will encounter problems later with a huge bioload like that. For most tangs you need a 6 ft tank.

Back
Top Bottom