Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer good/effective brands. Seen a lot but don't know which to choose. Thanks for any advise/suggestions

Gonna need details... Tank size, do you run a sump, looking for a hang on back style, etc..? I have great luck with my Reef Octopus BH-1000 which is a hang on back, on my 55 gallon. It was
pulling skimmate within 2 days... Not familiar with UV sterilizers though.

I'm confused why people want uv sterilzers in aquariums. They kill bacteria. We want bacteria.
Sure they kill algae as well, but the problem algae is the stuff already attached to rocks, walls etc. same for other bad blooms. The uv sterilizers don't do anything for the root problems and to me seem to be a waste of money in aquariums. Or am I missing something?

I do have one in my hottub tho. Need to kill ALL bacteria in there. Helps with the bromine needed

It's a 80 gallon gonna add live rock in next month or so. Right now its on an amiracle sump. As for the uv it's because my water is green and I have a canister filter.

Listen there's alot of debate, some like them, some don't. If you can afford it go for it I have and aqua ultraviolet 25 watt on my 90 it can't hurt it can only help as far as i'm concerned.

The UV will get what is IN the water. Most of the beneficial bacteria in our tanks is ON something (sand, live rock, etc), so it does nothing to that because it never passes through. I don't think it can hurt, but the benefits might be questionable compared to the cost. Its been a while since I had one, but if I recall correctly, the bulbs needed replacing every 6-8 months or so, which added up over time. I never had serious algae, or other, problems, but am not sure how much of that was just good filtration and tank maintenance.

Actually the aqua ultraviolet bulb only needs to be replaced every 14 months as per the manufacturer

They are probably making them better now. I had mine something like 12 years ago. :) The bulbs cost half what the entire unit cost back then too. Not sure about now.

Are bio balls good in sumps? As of right now that's my only form of filtration in the sump.

A lot of people have removed them from their sumps because they supposedly cause high nitrates. I removed mine years ago and replaced them with pieces of live rock in the sump.

I know a lot of people will disagree and say that bio balls are nitrate factories, but I have had two tanks with live rock ( in the tank) and bio balls (back in 3 chamber built-in filter) and never had problems with nitrates. I do not do anything special to keep them down either.
I have not heard exactly how there would be more trates with something plastic growing bacteria, versus rock. Maybe one of the folks here can explain?

TheTodd said:
The UV will get what is IN the water. Most of the beneficial bacteria in our tanks is ON something (sand, live rock, etc), so it does nothing to that because it never passes through. I don't think it can hurt, but the benefits might be questionable compared to the cost. Its been a while since I had one, but if I recall correctly, the bulbs needed replacing every 6-8 months or so, which added up over time. I never had serious algae, or other, problems, but am not sure how much of that was just good filtration and tank maintenance.

Funny cause I stated that most of the bb was not in the water and only existed in substantial amounts in the substrate, filter, tank walls, etc. And was then promptly told that if I had taken basic high school classes I would know better lol. I still think I'm right glad to see others share my opinion! I've been debating getting a uv sterilizer for a while thinking I'm going to now!

I am not sure who said BB is in the water...maybe some, but my understanding has always been that it is on/in things like sand, live rock, filter sponges etc. I do not think that UV eliminates much BB, which is what someone else had asked about.
I had one on an old reef tank and did not see much benefit. Really no difference after I decided to remove it. It sounds like they are less expensive now and I do not think it will hurt to buy one. Just not sure there is as much benefit as some will expect.

Ingy said:
I'm confused why people want uv sterilzers in aquariums. They kill bacteria. We want bacteria.
Sure they kill algae as well, but the problem algae is the stuff already attached to rocks, walls etc. same for other bad blooms. The uv sterilizers don't do anything for the root problems and to me seem to be a waste of money in aquariums. Or am I missing something?

I do have one in my hottub tho. Need to kill ALL bacteria in there. Helps with the bromine needed

+1!!!!

Cjsanders757 said:
Any review on the green killing machine uv sterilizer?

My mom bought me one for my birthday I really like it it's in my 55 gal discus tank the water is like absolutely pristinely clear now all the time its great

I just set up a 250gal tank it came with a uv but not the pump to run it how much water flow does a uv need do I pick up a large pump or a micro pump to run it?

I'd spend your money on something else. The only thing a uv sterilizer has done for me is slow my coraline growth...I have never seen any benefit out of a uv sterilizer and wish I hadn't wasted my money on one.

Back
Top Bottom