Need help due to cannibal fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have been having problems introducing new fish into our 50 gallon fish only tank. We have had a clown, blue tang, and scarlet hawf fish for about 6 months. We have tried introducing green chromies and most recently some small damsels. Our three fish ate the new fish. What type of fish do you suggest introduing that will be able to survive?

We feed our fish 5 days a week with alternating vegetable and seafood flakes. About once a week we feed frozen shrimp.

You sure all three fish did the new ones in? I'm thinking one of your fish might be the predator and the other two were only caught nibbling off the remains. A tang and a clown were eating dead fish? What kind of clown and how big?

Did you mean "hawk" instead of "hawf" above? Never had one, but that's where my suspicions lie. How big is it?

How much rock in there? Maybe when you bring home more fish, pull the existing ones out and put'm in a bucket w/air. Re-arrange the rock work and put the new fish in there first. Then add the old ones. Some tangs can be kinda territorial and pick on newcomers too.

The clown is a percula clown. Yes, I did mean Hawk fish. - should have used spell check.

We do have three large pieces of rock and a couple pieces of dead coral.

You're idea of re-arranging the rock is a good idea. Any good ideas on what type of fish we should try next time?

Maybe your hawk (couldn't find that species you mentioned) will get to only 3", but the write-ups on the ones I found said "don't be surprised at what they can or try to stuff in their mouths". Also said they prey on smaller fish and inverts.

So, if it were me, I'd trade him in. :(

Check out gobies (check out pistol shrimpand shrimp gobies too) and blennys. Also, if the hawk was gone, I'd still try to get the chromies going. Maybe 3 of'm. I'm not a damsel fan, but if they were added last, there might not be a problem.

If trading in, may consider either trading the single perc in for a pair or try to get one much smaller than the one you have now. Hoepfully they can pair up. It's fun to watch fish hang out together.

Lemme know what you decide.

Try feeding them before introducing new tnakmates....cuts down on aggression, taking them out and rearanging them will help...

How big are these fish? Especially the tang. You say a "few" damsels and chromis...sounds like a lot for a 50 gallon. What are your water parameters? It doesn't sound like you have much LR...what are you using for filtration?

I am just wondering if there is not an environmental/crowding problem at work here as well.

The hawkfish and tang are about 2 1/2 inches. The clown is about 2".
The damsels and chromis were about 3/4" to 1 ".

We don't have any live rock. We have an Eiheim filter, protein skimmer.
Our water checks out good at the fish store.

Back
Top Bottom