Need help on making 2 clown fish species to get along!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comets55

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help...i got 3 Percular and 2 black & white clown fishes and Purple Anemone in the same tank. The 3 Perculars already booked a room there and won't let B&W get in there even rest. Perculars keep swimming around and bite the b&w and sometime even drag the b&w from the center to anemone and just kick them out.

To me, it seems very mean. Do you have way to solve this problem by let the get along.

My tank is 30" x 18" x 18" (L x W x H)

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image-1344870552.jpg
    image-1344870552.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 158
  • image-4107952216.jpg
    image-4107952216.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3531428782.jpg
    image-3531428782.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 151
I'm new at this, but have learned that clowns should be added in pairs, not 5's 8-( also, once they do pair off, the dominant pair will eventually kill the other pair...

I just bought 1 more B&W ready in the quarantine tank...i also separate the 1st B&W out to rest and team up with the new one.

Will add them in this weekend...will see who are gonna be the one who get their @&& kick.

One pair per tank no matter the size. I had 4 total, 2 pairs in a 6 foot 125g tank and it didn't work out. Luckily I got the one pair put before they were killed.

Split those guys up or you are going to continue having aggression issues until they start killing each other.

There is more to salt water than clowns, one or a pair and then stock with other fish. Your asking for bigger issues, eventually even the dominate pair will become stressed by this continued overstocking of clowns. Worst case the clowns get sick or injured and die, best case their lifespan is cut in half due to stress.

Oh! I didn't know that...lesson learned. I will definitely move them out. Everyone, thanks for this.

comets55 said:
Oh! I didn't know that...lesson learned. I will definitely move them out. Everyone, thanks for this.

Not to mention 6 clowns is overstocked for that tank. Slow down dude.

I already separate all B&W out to my short 24" tank. I also use plastic PP board to separate 4 B&W into 2 pair (bcoz I only have 1 side water filtration. Is that good enough?

Then, in my main tank (30") i left only 3 perculars in there as I don't see them bite each other.

Attachments

• image-4003013297.jpg
    image-4003013297.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1681886584.jpg
    image-1681886584.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 73
I hope your housing for the b&w clowns is temporary. a two foot tank cut into 1 foot for each pair wouldn't be good for long at all.

I see. So, if i want to breed them (breed both pairs). I will need 1 more tank, right? Seems like i am expanding too fast now.

comets55 said:
I see. So, if i want to breed them (breed both pairs). I will need 1 more tank, right? Seems like i am expanding too fast now.

Yeah you got too many clowns. Also they need optimal conditions to breed, the setup you have is far from optimal, its very stressful.

Back
Top Bottom