Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes just make sure to mix up his diet and try to get him to eat the clams and krill and the ghost shrimp and if u want once in a while feed him the live one. A mixed diet is greatest

Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #12

i got a spotted puffer, s/he wont eat flakes or pellets or any veggie type stuff. he will eat feeder fish.once he ate half a earthworm before(should cut one in half and see if that works better) and recently dead ghost shrimp were gobbled up pretty quick. frozen bloodworms work and he LOVES nuisance snails. i ask petsmart to gather up the little suckers from all their tanks, they are happy to get rid of them for free. have alot more to try like frozen mullusks and brine/mysis shrimp, beefheart maybe? i like getting the free snails and put em in a seperate tank to multiply, that way i always have a free, never ending supply of food for one of my cutest (but mean to other) fish. hope you have the best of times with your puffer !>)

Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Have you tried holding out and letting him get real hungry? Wondering if he was anything like my 20yr old when he was two. The doctor told me not to give in with the things he liked to eat. After a couple of days of starving, he'd eventually eat the darned spinach and meatloaf.

Anyway, he still doesn't do spinach since his mom wouldn't let me starve him back then.
this is a good idea. puffers wont starve themselves. let them get hungry and offer him the food of your choice. He should eat it.

-Dylan
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #14

certain animals have certain diets. if you dont feed them what they are SUPPOSED TO eat. they will certainly be unhealthy, unhappy,and yes they can starve to death or die from the bloat or constipaton.no matter how much of the wrong food you put in. how many fish does it take to learn this. one in my case. maybe their are exceptions, but my spotted peacock eel would not eat, and it wouldnt eat bloodworms either, i dunno why. but i wont keep buying fish i know have a diet that im not willing or able to provide. sorry, not trying to be mean or anything.it happens to all of us. good luck, thanks for caring about your fish!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Of course, one would only try to starve them up until common sense tells you there's a problem with the starvation or someone's getting sick.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #16

maybe i shouldnt let one incident keep me from getting another peacock eel... i really liked it, but i dont want anything like that to happen again, you know?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you ever tried snails??
Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What kind of snails?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty much any kind of fresh or saltwater snail.. They also eat crabs (live).

Tags
porcupine, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Open top | Open top »