Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

need help porcupine puffer

He will not eat no frozen krill all he wants to eat is live fish goppies. I don't want be feeding him just fw goppies cuz I know its bad for their liver is there any thing else I could give him.
Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had the same problem with mine with feeding him clams when I first got him so I gave him a little of what he didn't like with the food he does like and eventually he got used to the clam taste. Keep working on feeding the krill or try clam or even silversides occasionally they get very hungry so he may see that's his only food and start eating it

Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

I've tried clam he does not want it I've tried dipping the krill in garlic and still does not want it. Im going to try silver sides and see if he like it today
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

He isn't taking it or is he putting it in his mouth and spitting it back out? And if he does like the silversides make sure you cute pieces small and try avoiding it everyday I find them filled with like fat and oils that aren't good for their stomachs. The garlic is excellent for the puffer and all fish keep trying it
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyVoo View Post
He isn't taking it or is he putting it in his mouth and spitting it back out? And if he does like the silversides make sure you cute pieces small and try avoiding it everyday I find them filled with like fat and oils that aren't good for their stomachs. The garlic is excellent for the puffer and all fish keep trying it
He gets close to it and looks like he is smelling it, but then backs offs he will sometime bit it and spit out. but i put a live guppies he will chase it and eat it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Have you tried holding out and letting him get real hungry? Wondering if he was anything like my 20yr old when he was two. The doctor told me not to give in with the things he liked to eat. After a couple of days of starving, he'd eventually eat the darned spinach and meatloaf.

Anyway, he still doesn't do spinach since his mom wouldn't let me starve him back then.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I find that if you persist with it he'll eventually eat it. I found mine chewing the clam and spitting it back out so I gave smaller pieces and he just ate it in one bite, try that. I imagine that he's 4 inches or so?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #8

I'll try that and yes he is about 4 to 5 inches I'm just afraid that if I starve him he will try to eat my damsels
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

With my experiences on puffers at this size eating other fish was the fish that he ate was either dead or not moving for a long time. Mine ate a sleeper goby and a dead royal gramma. I had 4 damsels the time I got him at around 4 inches and he didn't touch the damsels and one is still alive and he doesn't even go after him. On your case where he likes live foods i don't think he'll go after them simply the fact that I think their to fast for him. They hide in small caves that the puffer is to big for at night and during the day puffers arent that hungry and the damsels are always swimming and swimming faster than ur puffer. I wouldn't worry about losing ur damsels I'd concentrate on switching him to frozen krill and clam. A method I always found great for these small puffers was small pieces of food don't through in a large krill and expect him to chase it to the bottom
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

I just fed him ghost shrimp and liked them its that ok for them?

Tags
porcupine, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Open top | Open top »