Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with lando, get some LR. It is natural and is the best filtration for a tank. I ue have too you can still vac the surface of the sand. Keep the corals and place them behing the LR for added area for added bacteria. The big issue when you do your cleaning is you kill off the benificial bacteria on the coral. This is not a good thing.. Add a small amount of CURED lr over time and your fish will be happier. Places to hide and sleep for starters.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Check the photo gallery and personal galleries, you'll see the beauty of natural live rock and the real live stuff that can live on it. It's natural and will help with the bio filtration.

Looks like you spent and are willing to spend the money to enjoy this. So.... I'd recommend another $40 or $50 on two books. Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" to give you a good overview of SW fishkeeping. Then, check out Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals, Selection, husbandry, & Natural History" for some "real" coral that'll knock you socks off. Both available at this site's library (see above).

Welcome to AA, and I hope to see you around.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would tend to think, bleaching the CC would also kill the benificial bacteria/worms/critters in it....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for all your advice! I guess the best thing to do is to go buy me some LR! It seems like all of you are saying to use LR and dead coral, but leave it all alone to gather alge and stuff. Just vacuum the sand and clean the glass. I was noticing in some of the photos of peoples tanks that some of them do not clean the glass or sand. Is this just a personal preference? A LFS told me if I added the LR I could over time remove all my bio balls is this true? He also suggested that I not use the air stones and put a surface water type divice to give the tan oxygen. I like the look of the bubble wall though. He aslo said I should invest in a $400 UV light to cut down on my alge. Is this not needed with the live rock, just an added expense?

Thank you again for your time in anawering my questions, I really need the help!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A LFS told me if I added the LR I could over time remove all my bio balls is this true?
Yes, that is true. When you have enough LR you can slowly begin to remove the bioballs. Better yet, replace them with LR rubble as it is a much better filter media. I did that with my sump. I havesome pics in my gallery if you are interested.
Quote:
He also suggested that I not use the air stones and put a surface water type divice to give the tan oxygen. I like the look of the bubble wall though
Personally, I am not a fan of air stones in SW tanks. I do not think they look natural. Plus, the cause excessive salt creep as the bubbles burst and spray salt on the top of the tank. It is personal preference though. All you need to do is point a powerhead so it breaks the surface fo the water and causes ripples. That will be plenty of gas exchange.
Quote:
He aslo said I should invest in a $400 UV light to cut down on my alge. Is this not needed with the live rock, just an added expense?
Of course he did! Actually, from th advice you listed above you have a pretty good LFS. I do not think you shhould invest in a UV right now. IMO, LR is mcuh more inportant.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

LR is better its more bennifical and it adds a lot more intrest to the tank + you have the bonus of little critters with LR

Tags
20 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com