Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Help updating 120 gal tank just bought - Newbie!!

I have a wonderful 120 gal tank that I bought from a nice older gentleman a few months ago. The tank is healthy and doing good but I would like to make it as low maintance as possible. I would love to send photos and explain what my current system is, so I could get advice on what I need to do.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA. Is the tank reef ready (drilled)?

OK, so send the photos or give us a little more info on your tank. Reef? fish only.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!!

Maybe you could update "my info" to let us know your tank/equip/critters...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #4

Okay here it goes. Tank is 120 gal 71 x 17 x 22. 3 holes drilled in bottom one in each back corner and one in the back middle. It is currently coral sand and white real dead coral. I have to bleach the coral every month! I got this tank all set up with the fish. Some of them ar over 11 years old. The guy I bought it from has had it for 12 years. It has a 19.5 gal sump with bio balls, bricks and filter material in it. A protein skimmer in the sump. a small RO type filter and a large spa type filter. The over flow has a net to filter food and debri and a bio-filter then its filled with bio balls. I run the lights from 4:00pm until 9:00pm everyday. I have 2 24" 65 watt 50/50 bulb lights. I also have a large airpump that supplies several airstones for 4 walls of bubbles. It is set up on timers to shut the pumps off before the auto feeder dumps the freeze dried brine and planton every evening. I also have the tempature controlled by Medusa unit.

I do not test the tank. the fish have been healthy and I have not lost any.I hate bleaching the coral every month!! what would you guys suggest???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_452.jpg (15.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg tank2_482.jpg (21.1 KB, 270 views)
Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
I hate bleaching the coral every month!! what would you guys suggest???
I'm not sure bleaching is such a great idea...Does that mean, you take the coral out of the tank and use bleach? Why not just vacuum it or replace it with all sand?

Quote:
I also have a large airpump that supplies several airstones for 4 walls of bubbles.
I'm not to sure this is wise either. Airstones don't do much in a SW tank.

Other than that get a test kit and the tank looks great! Who will be doing the maint and PWCs on that tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #6

Yes I take the coral out and put it in a bleach & water tank than hose it off really well then set it in the sun for 20 min. If I dont do this it looks brown with alge. This is how the guy I bought the tank from instructed me on how to do the maintance. My husdand and I clean the clean the tank together it is a big job! I do not vacuum the sand. It is just fine I mix it up some and that is it.

Would really like any advice on what to do.

Here are a few bigger photos, sorry those were so small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump2_167.jpg (76.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg sump_180.jpg (69.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg tank_view_199.jpg (28.6 KB, 262 views)
Old 07-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
It look like a pretty heavey bioload in the tank with not a lot of biofiltration. Waer changes are going to be your best bet to keep water parameters stable.
Quote:
I hate bleaching the coral every month!! what would you guys suggest???
get rid of the dead coral and replace it with LR. It looks much nicer, does need bleeching every month and will do wonders for your tank in terms of biological filtration.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #8

thanks lando
you do mean that the live rock does not need bleaching every month
what about adding a UV light??
When I have LR do I only need to clean the alge off the glass? What about my sand? If the LR is permantly there then how do I clean the sand??
I have 11 wonderful fish - how do I add the LR without endangering them?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just have one suggestion. Forget about bleaching your coral with chemicals and let it happen naturally. Put the coral on a table out in the direct sunlight for 2 days and it will bleach out naturally and return to a bright white. I've been doing it that way for a looong time. If you buy a few extra pieces of coral than you can just place the spare pieces in the tank while the others lay under the sun. This will also give your tank a different look each time you swap the coral.

Just my 2 cents.
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
you do mean that the live rock does not need bleaching every month
Correct. LR harbors beneficial bacteria needed to process waste and will help keep your water quality high.
Quote:
what about adding a UV light??
Not really needed right now.
Quote:
When I have LR do I only need to clean the alge off the glass? What about my sand? If the LR is permantly there then how do I clean the sand??
algae cleaning and maintainace as ussual.
Quote:
I have 11 wonderful fish - how do I add the LR without endangering them?
Just make sure add cured LR. This is LR right out a system (such as from the LFS) and has remained wet. Ideally, y uwant 1-2lbs/gal.

Tags
20 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com