Need help with a Knobby Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalparamedic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a Knobby Starfish (Echinaster echinophorus) at the LFS , and the guy there told me that they were very hard to care for and they usually die from malnutrition... What do i feed this thing, I thought they ate algae and junk from the substrate and LR ?

I believe they will eat algae, inverts (possibly clams and maybe snails and possibly others) and as they get older, some corals and possibly sponges. I would wait for more experienced folks to chime in.

animalparamedic said:
and the guy there told me that they were very hard to care for and they usually die from malnutrition... What do i feed this thing, I thought they ate algae and junk from the substrate and LR ?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=562

Does your`s look like this? Just the LFS telling me that would have been enough for me to say no thanks. Make sure you dont expose to air when you put him in the tank.

I think your LFS was correct in the malnutrition. I believe that their diet is more phytoplankton based. As in..copepods and worms, also algae. I didn't think that this particular starfish ate coral, but again, could be wrong. Never really see it in tanks or sold much, probably because of the difficulty to keep. If you can, I'd consider returning it. If you can't...I'd atleast supplement with something like DT's phytoplankton, oyster eggs, or copepods.

HTH

Devilishturtles said:
I'd atleast supplement with something like DT's phytoplankton, oyster eggs, or copepods.
HTH

What is DT's phytoplankton... Is this different than Formula 2 with plankton and algae?

Back
Top Bottom