Need Help With Fish Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a psuedo-reef, basically a FOWLR but with snails, crabs, and starfish. The only thing I really have reef-like is coraline and feather dusters.

Tank is a 110 gallon w live rock and a dsb.

These are the current tank creatures:
36 turbo snails
12 blue leg hermits
3 unknown crabs
10 scarlet reef hermits
4 emerald crabs
6 nerite snails
6 cerith snails
2 star snails
48 nassarius snails
1 lettuce nudibranch
1 serpent star
1 harlequin serpent star
~10 feather dusters

I don't really plan on getting any coral unless I am forced to get reef-safe fish (I'd rather have cool fish than coral).

So the two fish I really want are a humu picasso trigger and a porcupine puffer. However, I highly doubt this is possible, as I figure both of these fish will eat the crabs, snails, starfish and feather dusters.

So what I am looking for are unique, generally large fish (fit for a 100 gallon), and most of the reef-safe fish are quite small. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know some web-sites list which fish are reef-safe, but I don't really have a reef, I just want fish that wont eat my cleanup crew.

I'm looking at the following but I feel like I could use a couple more suggestions (note that I won't necess put all of these in the tank; it is just what I am considering):

Powder blue tang
Yellow-stripe maroon clownfish & bubble anemone

Any other suggestions? A long time ago someone mentioned I should get a H(?) tusk fish, but I read that they would eat the inverts.

Thanks!

NightSpirit said:
So the two fish I really want are a humu picasso trigger and a porcupine puffer. However, I highly doubt this is possible, as I figure both of these fish will eat the crabs, snails, starfish and feather dusters.

The answer is you need to get another tank......(whispered the little devil standing on your left shoulder)

My wife would kill me. She already hates the 55g freshwater in the bedroom. :D

Putting another 55 in the livingroom is tempting, but it would likely bankrupt me.

look in to angel fish, they are not reef safe but they are safe for invert. my angel is during fine and peaceful with invert. but you have to keep in mind that there are angels that are more aggressive than other so you have to keep in mind that if you want more than one angel fish you need to introduce the non aggressive angel in your tank first or you will paid heavy price and time like me (one of angel was kill because it was badly wounded by another) make sure he will get use to the tank and find it's hiding spot could take a couple of weeks to months before introducing more aggressive angel in the tank, that is the best way to have more than one angels in your tank but it takes time, my friend got the three prettiest angels(blue ring angel, koran angel, and imperial angel - all adult) in one 72 gallon tank together and i got some tips from him after my angel is dead.

Foxfish are colorfull but are supposed to be reef safe. I don't have one but am looking into it. So if you get one and it sucks lemme know... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom