Need Help with New FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick Cox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have decided to start a new FOWLR tank. My tank is a 36 gallon bow tank. Dimensions are 30" L x 12-14" D x 21" H. To be honest, I could see myself adding a piece of coral here and there down the road but I don't really plan to go full blown reef.

Here is my plan and questions.

PLAN

-International Marine Fish (website) recommended about 50 lbs of live rock and about 40 lbs of live sand so this is my plan.

-I was thinking I would start with 5-10 hermits and work up to about 20.

-Start with 3 or 4 snails and work up to about 10.

-I am not sure about my fish but I am not that particular on this. I just want some fish of the right size that will get along and thrive in this tank.

-I was planning to by a Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent. It is 30" long (same as tank) and has 2 65 w bulbs. I believe one is Actinic and one is 10000K.

OK, here are my questions.

1. Does my plan for LR, LS and CUC sound OK? Any other comments or suggestions on this?

2. How will I feed the CUC when I first start the tank?

3. Does the light sound OK? I may add some coral later but to be honest, I don't see myself building a full blown reef.

4. With the LR, LS and CUC, do I need any other filtration? If so, what would you recommend?

5. Do I need proteen skimmer for this size FOWLR tank?

6. Should I put a glass top on the tank or not?

7. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks for your help! (y)

Pat

Welcome to AA.

1 and 2)I can deal with the LR and sand. As far as the CUC after you cycle your tank they be some algea in there for them to consume. Start small on the CUC and build up as you add more livestock.
3) For a FOWLR tank that will be good lighting. It will even be OK for soft and LPS corals. But if you are planning on anenome`s or SPS corals it wont have enough intensity.
4) Your LR will be the filtration you need. That and a skimmer with a PH to push the water around will be all you need.
5) A protien skimmer is up to you. Not everyone uses one. They do help to remove dissolved organic compounds from your water which in the long run will end up being excessive nutrients that will cause nuisance algea.
6) Glass tops are not reccommended as they cause poor gas exchange at the surface causing low PH.
7) Make sure you cycle your tank before adding anything live to your tank. We have a great article about it in our SW articles section.

Thanks Mike. So should I start with no CUC and add later?

And one more question. Do I really place the rock directly on the glass? That makes me really nervous! :shock: And then do I just add the sand after base rocks are on place?

Thanks again.

I have all my LR on the back glass. Forces the fish to swim out front. I would put on the back glass and then build toward the front. Just dont put it close to your front glass or you wont be able to clean the glass. As far as the CUC you can add them after you cycle the tank. Start small and build up as you add fish. I put the sand in first and then put the LR on top. Lolts do it the other way but I have not had any problem in 12 yrs. I have 200 lbs of LR in my tank.

Let me clarify. I have some of my LR on the back glass and have it stacked to the front. Not all 200 lbs is on the back glass. I have a pic of my tank in my sig.

So if I put the LR on the sand, I should not be concerned about crabs and such moving the sand enough to cause rocks to move and crack the glass? Thanks.

Which Goes First, the Rock or the Sand?

I am still confused about what to add first to my new tank, the rock or the sand. Is there any consensus on this topic here at AA? I am building a 36 gallon FOWLR in a glass bow front tank.

Thanks!
Pat

You want to add the rock first so that it's stable on the bottom.

This prevents burrowing creatures from destabalizing your rock and causing a collapse.

You can alternatively add some sand first, and shift the rock as you place it to make sure it settles on the bottom. As long as nothing can dig sand from under your support rock you should be fine.

I would add the sand first. When you say rock, do you mean gravel or large rock structures?

Merging this to your other thread. Posting threads asking same questions in multiple forums is not allowed.

Merging this to your other thread. Posting threads asking same questions in multiple forums is not allowed.

Sorry about that. Since it was not part of my original post, I didn't think about it. I will remember for next time.

You can do whatever you like, but the problem with putting sand first and then rocks, is that most people just put sand, and then they gently put the rock on the top layer of the sand. The problem with that is if any of your livestock likes to burrow under rocks, or sifts/moves sand, they could do it in a manner in which the sand UNDER the rocks will move out of its original spot. This will create a gap between the rocks and the sand, and the rocks could then possibly fall because of this.. crashing on top of livestock, coral, other rocks, and worst case, falling over and crashing against the glass.

It's best to put the rocks first and then the sand, but you could always put the sand first and then really dig the rocks far in to the sand.

There's also the problem of anaerobic spots as the rock will compact the sand. Anaerobic spots can create H2S and can cause a total tank crash. I would do rock then sand but align the rock along the back towards front as Melosu says.

So, does this all mean rock directly on the glass? Or is there some type of material I should use to protect the glass? I don't really like the idea of eggcrate as it can be sharp and I could see a fish cutting itself on the edges. Maybe something thinner that is softer? Or am I worrying about nothing? :) Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom