Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

need of maintenance

I have a 180 gallon fish only tank. Has been up for 15 yrs now. I have been somewhat negligent in my maintenance as it has been very stable. I have a large spiny puffer (8"), a cubicus boxfish who is blind from popeye (8"), a tomato clown (very aggressive), a blue tang who is at least 16yrs old and a naso tang so total of 6 fish. I have a wet dry filter and have honestly never cleaned the bioballs. The do have a moderate amount of brownish goo on them and I am not sure how to clean them. If I clean them all at once I am worried I could lose my biological filter. I do have a good protein skimmer also. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'd clean 1/2 of them this month and do another cleaning next month. With a skimmer you should be aok but just be safe

Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How much live rock do you have in the tank?
If you are going to clean the bio balls, I would do so in your old tank water and not fresh, chlorinated, water.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have quite a lot of live rock, not sure how much in pounds but it covers about 1/2 of the back wall of the tank, (tank is 6 foot long). Yes I thought about cleaning them in the old tank water rather than fresh water. I assume the fresh water would kill any bacteria on bioballs
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Probably. If you have enough live rock, you won't even need the bio balls. You can safely clean them.

Tags
maintenance, ten

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com