Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

got about 80-90 pounds of sand, rock was about 30-40 pounds, I got one 406 canister running for now (I know its not enough for a 120 gallon, still deciding what else to get), not looking to get fish until its all up and running.

Looking to also order the protein skimmer this week.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just don't get a coralife skimmer.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Just don't get a coralife skimmer.
I saw the bad reviews, looking to get the BH-2000 Octopus
Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay sand sounds good to me cuz you can always add more.. But I would add bout 20 more lbs down the road.. With the live rock I would def recommend adding more as soon as you can.. I like eshopps protein skimmers so I would say look into one of those.. I used a canister and to biowheels on my 125 and it did pretty good.. Just make sure you do your water changes.. What type of setup you are looking to get..? FOWLR, REEF, OR PREDATOR? Like what type of fish do you have in mind of getting

Shark~King
Old 07-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #15

change of plans! .... I decided to partially gut the aquarium stand and reinforce it with a 2x4 frame to fit a sump, I was able to get about 12 inches of width

I got the eshopps R-100 sump, since its 12 inches wide it fits perfect, went with the 800gph overflow and a RIO 3100 return pump, for now the aquarium is still cycling on the fluval 406 until I get time to get the sump running.

I have a 3 day business trip coming up, I will post pictures when I get back.

With the sump, is there any point in keeping the fluval canister, perhaps for additional mechanical filtration?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOWLR-JUNKIE View Post
Okay sand sounds good to me cuz you can always add more.. But I would add bout 20 more lbs down the road.. With the live rock I would def recommend adding more as soon as you can.. I like eshopps protein skimmers so I would say look into one of those.. I used a canister and to biowheels on my 125 and it did pretty good.. Just make sure you do your water changes.. What type of setup you are looking to get..? FOWLR, REEF, OR PREDATOR? Like what type of fish do you have in mind of getting

Shark~King
Just looking to do a FOWLR.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would def keep the canister.. It doesn't hurt at all.. Unless to just don't want any visible tubes in you tank.. I'll would keep it.. Are you going to hard plumb it or soft plumb it..?

Shark~King
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOWLR-JUNKIE View Post
I would def keep the canister.. It doesn't hurt at all.. Unless to just don't want any visible tubes in you tank.. I'll would keep it.. Are you going to hard plumb it or soft plumb it..?

Shark~King
for now I will use the flexible hose that came with the sump and pump, I would like to pvc the piping but I will have to do a bit more research

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just go to YouTube and type in plumbing for a aquarium and it gives you some really good info about

Shark~King
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plumbing an aquarium.. And it gives you a visual of how to do yours..?

Shark~King

Tags
advise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com