Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

need some advise on new 120G

first a little background, I had a few fish tanks when I lived at my parents house (10 years ago) I had a 55 gallon oscar tank, which later became a tropical tank, also had a 30 gallon salt water for a while. I loved the hobby but got rid of everything when I moved out and got married.

Last week I went to a doctors office and they had a big tropical tank which really sparked my interest again, I also think my kids would love a tank.

I came across a 120 gallon at petsmart with a stand at a really low price so I couldn't pass it up. I also got a fluval 406.

The issue is the stand only has 2 compartments and they are only 14 by 17 wide.

So here is where I need the help, I would really like to do a salt water FOWLR tank, but I keep reading about sumps and since I don't have the room, my options would be either dual Fluval 406s or maybe one 406 and aquaclear 110 HOB.

I actually do not like the look of an overstocked tank so thats not an issue, I would like to have 5 or 6 small to mediums fish (yellow tang, angel etc).

Would dual 406s be enough filtration?

Would I need a protein skimmer?

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Let me be the first to say welcome back to the hobby.. But it all depends on what you are trying to do with the tank. I would def recommended a Protein skimmer. Always get one 2x's the size of the tank. So if it's a 125g tank get one for a 240 or so if your budget covers it.. And in that case since you won't have a sump you best bet will be getting a HOB protein skimmer.. I personally like reef octopus products.. But I would also add a biowheel to the back.. Maybe a 400 pro series..

Shark~King

Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

thanks, I can do the protein skimmer, not an issue, my main concern is if the two 406s are enough filtration
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would do two of them. 2 is always better than one.. IMO it would be better becuz of the type of fish you are goin with.. Tangs produce a lot of waste and they also get a decent size and they grow pretty fast depending on how healthy they are

Shark~King
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

another question I have is once I get the live sand and rock, can I use tap water to fill it initially and just treat it?

my fridge has a filter I can use not sure if that helps much

120g is so much
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't recommend using tap water even if treated.. Phosphate is still an issue.. I know it get kinda expensive when it comes to water but with saltwater you don't want to take an easy way out.. I always recommended investing in a ro/id filter to make ur own water at home.. But if another opinion is getting a bunch of buckets and going to a glacier or any outdoor water place and getting filtered water.. It's like 25 cent per gallon.. I believe most do go thru a RO system.. And get a 55g drum and mix your own water.. You will need these thing in the future anyway especially if you want to make you own water
Also you will need to go to a petco or LFS and pick up some salt to add to the water..

Shark~King
Old 07-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

But I do know people that do use tap water to start their cycle and with all the water changes they do during the waiting process all the phosphate is out.. But you have to use RO water afterwards.. It can cause a algae problem also..

Shark~King
Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

wow there is allot more to saltwater than I thought
Old 07-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

tank is setup with live sand (aragonite) and 4 pieces of purple live rock, heaters and canister is running, going to let it cycle for a while, how do I know when the water is stable?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

How many pounds do you have total in there..? What size canister? How many pound of sand? How long have you had it running for now..?

Shark~King

Tags
advise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com