need some advise on new 120G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratedm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
first a little background, I had a few fish tanks when I lived at my parents house (10 years ago) I had a 55 gallon oscar tank, which later became a tropical tank, also had a 30 gallon salt water for a while. I loved the hobby but got rid of everything when I moved out and got married.

Last week I went to a doctors office and they had a big tropical tank which really sparked my interest again, I also think my kids would love a tank.

I came across a 120 gallon at petsmart with a stand at a really low price so I couldn't pass it up. I also got a fluval 406.

The issue is the stand only has 2 compartments and they are only 14 by 17 wide.

So here is where I need the help, I would really like to do a salt water FOWLR tank, but I keep reading about sumps and since I don't have the room, my options would be either dual Fluval 406s or maybe one 406 and aquaclear 110 HOB.

I actually do not like the look of an overstocked tank so thats not an issue, I would like to have 5 or 6 small to mediums fish (yellow tang, angel etc).

Would dual 406s be enough filtration?

Would I need a protein skimmer?

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

Let me be the first to say welcome back to the hobby.. But it all depends on what you are trying to do with the tank. I would def recommended a Protein skimmer. Always get one 2x's the size of the tank. So if it's a 125g tank get one for a 240 or so if your budget covers it.. And in that case since you won't have a sump you best bet will be getting a HOB protein skimmer.. I personally like reef octopus products.. But I would also add a biowheel to the back.. Maybe a 400 pro series..

Shark~King

thanks, I can do the protein skimmer, not an issue, my main concern is if the two 406s are enough filtration

I would do two of them. 2 is always better than one.. IMO it would be better becuz of the type of fish you are goin with.. Tangs produce a lot of waste and they also get a decent size and they grow pretty fast depending on how healthy they are

Shark~King

another question I have is once I get the live sand and rock, can I use tap water to fill it initially and just treat it?

my fridge has a filter I can use not sure if that helps much

120g is so much :ermm:

I don't recommend using tap water even if treated.. Phosphate is still an issue.. I know it get kinda expensive when it comes to water but with saltwater you don't want to take an easy way out.. I always recommended investing in a ro/id filter to make ur own water at home.. But if another opinion is getting a bunch of buckets and going to a glacier or any outdoor water place and getting filtered water.. It's like 25 cent per gallon.. I believe most do go thru a RO system.. And get a 55g drum and mix your own water.. You will need these thing in the future anyway especially if you want to make you own water
Also you will need to go to a petco or LFS and pick up some salt to add to the water..

Shark~King

But I do know people that do use tap water to start their cycle and with all the water changes they do during the waiting process all the phosphate is out.. But you have to use RO water afterwards.. It can cause a algae problem also..

Shark~King

tank is setup with live sand (aragonite) and 4 pieces of purple live rock, heaters and canister is running, going to let it cycle for a while, how do I know when the water is stable?

How many pounds do you have total in there..? What size canister? How many pound of sand? How long have you had it running for now..?

Shark~King

got about 80-90 pounds of sand, rock was about 30-40 pounds, I got one 406 canister running for now (I know its not enough for a 120 gallon, still deciding what else to get), not looking to get fish until its all up and running.

Looking to also order the protein skimmer this week.

Okay sand sounds good to me cuz you can always add more.. But I would add bout 20 more lbs down the road.. With the live rock I would def recommend adding more as soon as you can.. I like eshopps protein skimmers so I would say look into one of those.. I used a canister and to biowheels on my 125 and it did pretty good.. Just make sure you do your water changes.. What type of setup you are looking to get..? FOWLR, REEF, OR PREDATOR? Like what type of fish do you have in mind of getting

Shark~King

change of plans! .... I decided to partially gut the aquarium stand and reinforce it with a 2x4 frame to fit a sump, I was able to get about 12 inches of width

I got the eshopps R-100 sump, since its 12 inches wide it fits perfect, went with the 800gph overflow and a RIO 3100 return pump, for now the aquarium is still cycling on the fluval 406 until I get time to get the sump running.

I have a 3 day business trip coming up, I will post pictures when I get back.

With the sump, is there any point in keeping the fluval canister, perhaps for additional mechanical filtration?

:thanks:

Okay sand sounds good to me cuz you can always add more.. But I would add bout 20 more lbs down the road.. With the live rock I would def recommend adding more as soon as you can.. I like eshopps protein skimmers so I would say look into one of those.. I used a canister and to biowheels on my 125 and it did pretty good.. Just make sure you do your water changes.. What type of setup you are looking to get..? FOWLR, REEF, OR PREDATOR? Like what type of fish do you have in mind of getting

Shark~King

Just looking to do a FOWLR.

I would def keep the canister.. It doesn't hurt at all.. Unless to just don't want any visible tubes in you tank.. I'll would keep it.. Are you going to hard plumb it or soft plumb it..?

Shark~King

I would def keep the canister.. It doesn't hurt at all.. Unless to just don't want any visible tubes in you tank.. I'll would keep it.. Are you going to hard plumb it or soft plumb it..?

Shark~King

for now I will use the flexible hose that came with the sump and pump, I would like to pvc the piping but I will have to do a bit more research

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just go to YouTube and type in plumbing for a aquarium and it gives you some really good info about

Shark~King

Back
Top Bottom