Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Need some help please

I was out of the country for about 3 months, and had a friend looking after my place, including my fish. I had given away my good fish so they wouldn't die, but I kept a few damsels and a blenny in the tank to keep some life in there. Well, I don't think my friend did a very good job, as the tank looks pretty dirty. None of the fish I left died, so that's definitely good. However, there is a lot of algae buildup on my crushed coral, and I do mean a lot. There is also quite a bit on my live rock. What can I do to clean up the crushed coral? Should I try to get the live rock clean too, or leave the algae on it? It also looks like the tank walls were never cleaned off, so does anyone have a suggestion to clean that off - there looks to be some build up on that as well. Thanks!

jazztalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
What color / type is it? If its red slime cyano from over feeding etc... it can just be siphoned or vac-ed off the substrate and even off the LR... I'd test your water and do some water changes etc... clean your glass up good and even add a nice size clean up crew too Glad your fish made it

I had my husbands cousin 'watch our tank and well, I didn't have timers, we were gone 4 or 5 days and he never came ONCE... my lights were on 24/7 and I had a huge neon green tank.. my fish made it too... I was shocked, as I couldn't even see thorugh my tank when I walked it.

Welcome back BTW

Kimberly in NE Florida
Cycle complete Early 2-06
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks, and thanks for the advice! Its a green algae. Some of it is just "normal" green algae and some of it almost looks like what you'd see on a penny or copper outside. I'm hoping I can just siphon it off b/c I'd hate to go through the hastle of replacing some of it in my tank...
jazztalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Water changes and clean up crew, maybe some elbow grease on the glass
Wood_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com