Need some ideas for stocking please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
55 gallon, 40 lbs of live rock, Fiji pink sand. Plenty of flow, with 3 power heads. Current livestock: 2 mocha clowns, 1 algae blenny, 1 clown goby, 1 tiger goby, a long spine sea urchin and a decent CUC. I'm trying to research possible fish, and I am also planning on adding corals, which seems to be the issue in terms of fish compatibility. I would ideally like to put a coral beauty and a lemon peel angel, but some places say they aren't exactly reef compatible because they will nip at the corals. I was also interested in 2 cardinals, basically that would wrap up the stock... What are everyone's experiences with the beauties ad angels?? Thanks!

Benamayer said:
55 gallon, 40 lbs of live rock, Fiji pink sand. Plenty of flow, with 3 power heads. Current livestock: 2 mocha clowns, 1 algae blenny, 1 clown goby, 1 tiger goby, a long spine sea urchin and a decent CUC. I'm trying to research possible fish, and I am also planning on adding corals, which seems to be the issue in terms of fish compatibility. I would ideally like to put a coral beauty and a lemon peel angel, but some places say they aren't exactly reef compatible because they will nip at the corals. I was also interested in 2 cardinals, basically that would wrap up the stock... What are everyone's experiences with the beauties ad angels?? Thanks!

Hey Ben, the Coral Beauty is an angel as well, and putting both in a 55, probably wouldn't end well. I would chose one... From past experience with the Coral Beauty, I would go with the Lemon Peel. I've had 2 Coral Beauties and neither lasted much longer than a month, granted it was at the start of my salt endeavor and could have been my fault as much as the fishes. IMO, the Lemon is much more striking than the Beauty, and if you don't have the tank for a Yellow tang, you can't beat that bright yellow fish in the tank as far as visual appeal.
As far as corals go, any Angel is a risk. The dwarves are somewhat less a risk, but a risk none the less.

I do agree with the yellow.. Definitely good looking fish. So maybe a lemmonpeel and 2 cardinals?

Yeah, the Cardinals would be a good fit, as far as I know, they are a pretty benign, open-water fish.
Never owned any, but an interesting fish. Maybe check out the Blue Reef Chromis, another open-water swimmer with a really striking blue color.
Either one would be a good choice.

Yea I was really hoping for something that's color would pop! The wifey likes the cardinals tho :( and if they're peaceful then it will keep the house peaceful haha... I'll check out the blue chromis, I just need to do convincing! Thanks man!

I have a 54gal and have 2 small cardinals. They are very peaceful. I've read that they can be difficult to feed at first, but I bought tank-bred ones and they ate good from the first day. They are a schooling fish though, so they do like another one there. I love my little cardinals.

A pair of Cardinals were my 3rd/4th fish in my tank after my Clowns. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't choose them due to lack of color and movement. That said, if you do get them and end up with a pair, your long spines urchin will provide a safe place for babies to hide until they are bigger. Do get the tank bred version

Definitely don't put a Lemonpeel and a Coral Beauty together in a 55. The Coral Beauty was my 5th fish and was gorgeous, active and healthy then in less than a month, just died. Everyone else was fine. I was told it was probably due to method of collection. Now I have a Lemonpeel that is gorgeous, active and full of personality. Have had her for 7 months and she's made it through 3 tank changes, Ich and Velvet.

BTW, be sure to QT all new fish for 4-6 weeks before adding to your display tank. If you don't, I guarantee you will regret it sooner or later.

So are coral beauties just way too picky and for the advanced aquarist? Common theme here is less than a month survival rate. I think I'll go with something else... Definitely considering a few blue reef chromis, and a lemon peel. That may top off the stock, but also may want to add a yellow watchman goby for a color splash. But would that be too much yellow? Are there other gobies that would be vibrant? Maybe a mandarin? I hear those are picky eaters...?

Benamayer said:
So are coral beauties just way too picky and for the advanced aquarist? Common theme here is less than a month survival rate. I think I'll go with something else... Definitely considering a few blue reef chromis, and a lemon peel. That may top off the stock, but also may want to add a yellow watchman goby for a color splash. But would that be too much yellow? Are there other gobies that would be vibrant? Maybe a mandarin? I hear those are picky eaters...?

From what I've read about the Coral Beauty, they don't handle collection and shipping stress very well. It's not that they are an advanced fish. Sometimes they are very hardy, it's just how they handle the journey. After losing 2, and reading this, I gave up on them. With focusing more on corals too, Angels weren't worth the risk for me.
Blue Reef Chromis are cool..huh? Really cool looking blue and highly active in the tank.
Yellow watchman is an interesting fish to watch, and would be a good choice too.
I would avoid the Mandarin as well, they need a very large tank, with a never-ending supply if pods. Unless you get an ORA Mandarin that eats other foods, and these too have been known to revert back to only eating pods.
Best of luck with you and your wife's stocking selections Ben.
Toby

Ohh, and another really cool looking fish is the Firefish. It's called a Goby, but it's really not, it's a Dartfish. Beautiful coloration, bottom to mid-water dweller, not a very big swimmer, but when spooked, darts into his cave faster than you can blink! Only down-side to these guys is they can dart the wrong way, and onto your floor, if you don't have some kind of top. Awesome looking fish though, and relatively cheap, except for the Helfrechii's. The regular and the purple are usually around $20. Helfrechii's are like $60!

I saw those they do look pretty [moderator edit] too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 regular and 2 purple for years, and steadily lost one at a time. Because they are a bottom dweller, I think my reef lobster picked them off. Apparently he wanted to supplement his diet of silversides!! I've wanted to replace them, but not until I rehome the lobster. Bought him at 1/2", 7+ years ago. Now he's about 5", and turning into a problem...had to have a lobster...stupid impulse buy!! :)

Could always raise him in the bathtub and when you get hungry...

Benamayer said:
Could always raise him in the bathtub and when you get hungry...

Lol... Wife would looove that!! Already hates that I dump my water change water in the kids bathtub.
Take it easy, Ben. Keep us updated on what you decide to get!

Will do Toby! As soon as my phosphate problem subsides I will be adding some more fins! Til then, GFO, water changes, and premature balding... Stay tuned!

LOL I also had a purple firefish. I've lost track, but got him with when I stocked my upgrade to current 100G tank. I knew they jumped and my 100G had lids but my 55G QT didn't so I was using several pieces to cover it. Unfortunately I was running two HOB filters and couldn't get every inch covered. Need I say more? He was very pretty but stayed hidden at the bottom most of the time. I don't think they hide that much after acclimation in the display but mine didn't make it long enough to find out. He must have jumped just before I found him because he was still wet and I tried putting him back in but no luck.

If you don't have complete top for your tank, you can make a DIY top fairly easy. Just search DIY equipment, and you'll find instructions.

My Coral Beauty was not at all hard to care for. He ate well and got along with other tank mates. I agree that it is the collection method that is the problem.

I currently have two blue/green chromis that are doing fine (7 months). But I bought 3 and one of those jumped also. I would advise against buying an odd # unless the odd one is a female. That might work. The one that jumped was becoming aggressive to the othe smaller male. They do get larger than I expected so don't get too many. I would say 1 male and 2 females would be plenty for 55.

I also tried Anthias but they wouldn't eat - of couse I picked the finicky ones. I think the Barletts and Lyretail are hardy and very pretty though I've heard the males are fairly aggressive. I'm still gunshy with them and haven't tried again. Also not sure if recommended for 55. Might go with just one male. Very colorful. You could try a butterfly that isn't predominately yellow like the
Pakistan (red tail/dark body - reef safe with caution). The others I was thinking about require larger tanks.

If I were to start again, I think I would go with a flame angel (for the red) and a yellow butterfly or a Midas Blenny for my yellow fish. The fairy wrasses are very colorful and I think hardy and reef safe. You could go with a Carpenter's or my fave, the McCosker's BUT they all jump so a secure lid (more secure than eggcrate) would be needed. Also the flasher wrasses. Just check LA (for min tank size) and forum member experiences.

Wait until you have plenty of pods before getting a mandarin but a 55 would be fine. I would wait a year unless you have a fuge area you can order pods and quick start that process then at least 6 months or until you have a good number of them showing up in your display. I am just now waiting for a mardarin to come up on Divers Den. I've had so much trouble with disease from LFS that I won't buy fish from them anymore.

These are of course my opinions after just a year and making most of the newbie mistakes. Good luck! Take it slow, QT, check forum or personal experience with fish before buying. Stay away from less than hardy species until you have a really good feel for water quality, tank maintenance and feeding. Don't overstock and don't go over recommended tank size. Doing any of these could turn your great hobby into a nightmare and cause you to get out before having the op to really enjoy it. Don't be afraid to ask for help even if you have done something unadvised. Read alot and go with the majority opinion, not the few who may have not experienced a problem YET. Pay attention to adult size of fish and feeding habits when deciding on stocking limits and GO SLOW, ask for advise Sorry for repeating myself. Get the best equipment you can afford especially for filtration and be sure to have enough flow. There is so much more but I'm sure others will share their experiences since I've already written this book. Sorry so long!

Will a coral beauty pick at hermit crabs? I'm not
going to pursue corals for my 55 gallon, so want to put a beauty in there. Also, will he pick at an anemone if I decide to put one in there for my mocha clowns to host?!

My CB didn't bother my crabs, and I don't remember reading anywhere that they do. I can't speak to the corals though as I haven't braved them yet. I've read that anemones hard difficult to keep though and no guaranty clowns will host in them. An alternative and easier to keep would be the Rhodactis Hairy Mushroom http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+665&pcatid=665. I believe they come in green and purple. Also the Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral will act as a substitute host for clowns. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+2051&pcatid=2051. Hope these links work.

Back
Top Bottom