New 10 gal FOWLR....New picture 10-4-06!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my LR on Thursday.....first SW tank and WOW is this stuff cool! I've spent way too many hours this past weekend staring into the tank. 20 lbs live sand, 20 lbs live rock, Aquaclear 70/300 HOB for circulation, 15w 10000K fluorescent bulb.

Tank and stand, got the stand unfinished (was supposed to be a TV table, perfect size) and painted to match another bookcase I have.
P1010834.JPG

Tank, front view:
P1010890.JPG

Right side:
P1010889.JPG

Left side:
P1010891.JPG

View of apt with 55 gal planted freshwater in background, 10 gal FOWLR in front. The contrast between the 6500K and 10000K bulbs is really neat.
P1010837.JPG

Lookin nice. Lots of Macro Algaes too. You'll want to be careful to keep those macros to a minimum and trim frequently. Then can turn "sexual"in your tank, killing the plant, and fouling up your water. Just a heads up.

Can't wait to see pics in the future!

WOW - Now that's what I call LIVE rock. I have never seen live rock like that. There are several lfs's arond here that all sell live rock with NO LIFE. They also get $6-$11 per pond for the stuff.

I mail ordered most of my live rock and was very disappointed. A month later and it still looks pretty dead.

Where did you get your rock?

Tampa Bay Saltwater. I had a friend who ordered from them and highly recommended them. I can do the same. Emailed the order in on Tuesday, they shipped Thursday AM, I picked it up at the airport Thursday afternoon. Rock was $5 a pound, shipping was $45. so not a bad deal at all. I don't have the lights for corals so I didnt go for the $6 a pound rock with corals. I still got plenty of stuff....up close there is more stuff than you can imagine!

That looks awesome...that live rock is amazing. I see you have spent hours looking at it...that chair infront tells the story,LOL

What brand of pump/powerhead is that, I have one just like it that was in a little fountain thingy that I dismantled to get it out? It looks like there are some corals on the LR.

There are a few small corals, although I don't know how long they will last with the lights.

The pump is just a little cheapy Red Sea pump that came with my FW CO2 system....I'm having some filter issues at the moment and needed something to move the water around, and that was all I had. It will probably come out once the filter gets going.

rock was $5 a pound (20 lbs), and it was $45 to ship from FL to RI via airlines. The airline shipping was easy, and worked really well, but I also live 25 minutes from the airport.

Looks likeyou have Caleurpa (sp.) growing on your rocks. Might be a maintenance issue, but nonetheless, it looks great!

New pictures! The tank is finally cycled, although I stirred everything up a bit yesterday so the water is a little cloudy. I got 5 Astraea snails, a feather duster and a 6 line wrasse yesterday. The wrasse was a little shy last night so no pictures of him but I took a few of the snails and the duster.

Astraea:
P1020460.JPG

Feather duster:
P1020459.JPG

how long did it take you to get pics of the wrasse? they are fast lil buggers!! LOL. that is some gorgeous rock. great job. i live no more than 30 min away from there warehouse and really need to get some of that! now youve got me thinkin that i need to! hehe.

Actually it was quite easy to get a picture of him, with the flash, although he was fast enough to get out of the frame before the flash fired a few times. Much easier than taking pics of my rainbows, they are impossible!

The rock is great, a lot of stuff didn't make it as my cycle took a looong time but now the coralline is starting to spread which is exciting.

Back
Top Bottom