New 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. I'm new to this fantastic site as I decided to catch up to the rest of the world and get a smart phone so I came across the app. I have been a freshwater guy for years but want to move onto bigger and better things like marine. Need some advise. Tank is going to be a standard 20g. I know I should start bigger but don't have the room right now for about 2 more years. I plan on doing a fowlr setup. I currently have a penguin 200 hob good for 50g. What other equipment would I need to keep everything healthy? Would I need a skimmer? Don't plan on a huge bioload with my projected stock of 2 ocellaris clowns and a Catalina goby. Is that good or should I reconsider?

I agree you don't need a skimmer for 20g. You'll need a couple of powerheads to circulate the water, heater, hydrometer or Refractometer, a master test kit which usually includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity. I've heard liquid tests are better than strips, but I've never used strips, so can't comment on that. Also if you don't have it, you'll need heater and filter(unless you're doing a sump, which I can't remember if you mentioned that) :)

BTW, just so you know, Catalina gobies are from cooler waters 60-70*. I have read on forums that some people have kept them in tanks in high 70's for couple of years, but probably isn't ideal for them and I would imagine that would shorten their lives some. I happen to think they are beautiful fish, though.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I plan on doing a 15-20% water changes every week. Also I still wouldn't need a skimmer if I eventually decided to put in corals?

Back
Top Bottom