New 30 gal Saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So my tank is well established and I'm wondering what else I should consider for fish. I'm heading to the lfs today to get some more base rock to put under my LR. My 2 damsels (yellow tail) keep digging and undermining the rock because I have a fair amount of sand for them to play in (3-4"). In about 1-2 weeks my peppermint shrimp should arrive to chow down on the api. Other than that, all I have is 3 hermits and plenty on feather dusters, brittle stars and tiny snails.
I'm not going to buy anything but the rocks, but I an going to look to see what they have (small lfs). But I do want your ideas on what to check out.
Thanks
Ingy

My 2 damsels are more like hermits. The lady I got them from had her reef tank in the basement and probably the fish saw very few people looking in. Now that they're in my living room, all they do is hide. We very rarely see them unless you hide nearby. Is there anything I can do to speed up the acclimation process where that are less scared? No really much point in having a damsel if you can't see it.
Still not sure what to put in with them.

Ingy said:
My 2 damsels are more like hermits. The lady I got them from had her reef tank in the basement and probably the fish saw very few people looking in. Now that they're in my living room, all they do is hide. We very rarely see them unless you hide nearby. Is there anything I can do to speed up the acclimation process where that are less scared? No really much point in having a damsel if you can't see it.
Still not sure what to put in with them.

Chances are your not going to have much luck putting anything in with them. They are aggressive territorial fish. Ive only ever had problems with them and 2 in a 30g will most def cause problems if you add something. My advice would be to remove them and get something else more peaceful so you can add later.

I am in dire need of peppermint shrimp and my LFS still hasn't come thru. However I have found a CAnadian distributer that will ship by air right to my workplace (yes, I work at the airport). They have a cleaner package that includes:
Package #2 / 15 - 25 Gallons / $48.95 +delivery
12 - Blue Legged Hermits
3 - Red Scarlet Hermit
5 - Astrea Snails
5 - Margarita Snails
5 - Cerith Snails

I already have 3 red Hermits and numerous tiny snails. Is that a right sized cleaner crew for my 30 gal tank? Plus I'll get probably 2 pepermint shrimp with the order which is why I'm thinking the whole air delivery thing.

While placing that order, I am thinking about 1 more fish (gonna need more poop in da tank). When I look in the tank at night with the flashlight, there are hundreds of miniscule corepods and some getting kinda large (almost 1cm or just under 1/2"). I would like to get somebody to much on them. But I do have the 2 evil Yellow tail damsels that came from a large reef aquarium with many other tankmates.
I was thinking about trying a Green dragnet to kelp with the population. But I am hesitant with the damsels. There are plenty of rocks and hiding places, but I'm not sure they'll let a new neighbour in.
Thoughts?

Mandarins are VERY hard to keep for very long. I would think, the Damsels are one concern, another would be that your tank is only 30g. I don't believe that is really big enough to maintain the necessary pod population.
Unless you were willing to try to train the Mandarin to eat frozen food, which could be very trying, I wouldn't do it.
Probably 95% of purchased Mandarins die within 2 months. And that's most likely a generous estimate. I've had 2 myself, in an established 135g with 120# actual live rock, in the past 8 years, and they lasted about 2 months each.
They are just a delicate, finicky fish with probably the worst track record in home aquaria. Maybe second only to the Moorish Idol.
IMO/ IME , I wouldn't waste your time or money. Not trying to be rude at all, just very few people can keep them alive.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still stuck wanting to find something that will eat the corepodes and be able to handle the YTDamsels. If such a fish exists and wont eat all my crabs and snails I plan on ordering. Clownfish perhaps?

Most fish will eat some types of Copepods.
One of the meaner clowns would probably fair better than most fish, with the Yellowtails. Like a Clarkii or a gold/band Maroon.

Possibly a small wrasse of some kind. Maybe a six-line? They hold their own pretty well and they eat bristleworms and other pests. I'm surprised the damsels aren't eating the pods.

I found a Clarkii from a lfs next town over. It was returned as I was too aggressive for the previous owner. He's been in the tank since Saturday and there has been much aggressiveness among the 3 fish. But now everybody seems to have settled down. Now that there are 3 bullies in the tank everybody has been much calmer.

Glad it has seemed to work out for you. Equal aggressiveness does usually work out for the best.
Good luck moving forward!

Here's a water test I just did. Both are API test kits with manufacture dates within 2 months. Higher is from std test kit and lower is from reef test kit. I'm assuming higher is right and working to reduce trates.
Caution to all

Attachments

• image-3320111820.jpg
    image-3320111820.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 45
That happens to me! My API saltwater standard kit gives an accurate consistent reading on nitrates, and the reef test kit gives 0 ppm nitrate every time. Makes me wonder how accurate the other tests in the reef test kit are. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom