Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
If you look possibilities up on liveaquaria.com, it will have eventual size, minimum tank requirements, compatibility charts, etc. They tend to go a little larger on tank sizes, but from my experience, I've learned that their suggestions go better for most fish than some of the other places that might suggest a smaller minimum tank size. You can't go wrong with larger, but smaller can cause problems.
__________________

__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Do you know what this is
Its a Clown trigger. Very aggressive, gets about a foot and a half long and needs a 300g tank. Even with a tank that size, you would only want other aggressive fish that could hold their own.
__________________

__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

Its a Clown trigger. Very aggressive, gets about a foot and a half long and needs a 300g tank. Even with a tank that size, you would only want other aggressive fish that could hold their own.
Thanks Todd.. Spotted Toby looks good
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Just got a new piece of live rock to complete my cave for the snowflake moray eel...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4047907209.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	181583   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2422118221.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	181584  

__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

What about dog face puffer ( my boys dont believe they are real ) Yeah was thinking reef octopus HB90 HOB.
Water tested at 2 LFS YEST MORNING. one lfs said looks ok just a bit high on salinity 1.026 and ph8.0. Other lfs said 1.024 and ph 8.0 ( they said add some water and a bit extra salt, should bring ph up and the salunity to 1.025).
Just paid for a valentini puffer to pickup tmrw arvo.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I wouldn't worry about it yet. I also wouldn't add to the bio load to try and reduce nutrients. In other words, don't buy something that eats algae, because you will always have to have algae present to feed it or it will die, and it's still going to poop out what it eats.
Mr X how often should i test the water, weekly?
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #97
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post
Whats Velvet?
Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options - Reefkeeping.com
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Now thats information. When i have a day spare i will read
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post
Mr X how often should i test the water, weekly?
You could ask 100 people this and get 100 different answers. First, what are we testing for? If it's ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, for the first few months I would test weekly, unless you saw a reason to test more frequently, like odd fish behavior or algae growth. These tests will help you to know how well your filtration is working, and how you are feeding, as well as how your bacteria colony is handling your bio load.
After a few months, I don't test for anything, unless something seems wrong.
I just do my regular (weekly) water changes, and that generally takes care of some nutrient export and trace element replenishing.

As you increase your coral load you'll want to know calcium, alk and mag values, and how fast they are being used up. I don't mean every time you add a frag, but if you add a large stony coral or clam perhaps.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You could ask 100 people this and get 100 different answers. First, what are we testing for? If it's ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, for the first few months I would test weekly, unless you saw a reason to test more frequently, like odd fish behavior or algae growth. These tests will help you to know how well your filtration is working, and how you are feeding, as well as how your bacteria colony is handling your bio load.
After a few months, I don't test for anything, unless something seems wrong.
I just do my regular (weekly) water changes, and that generally takes care of some nutrient export and trace element replenishing.

As you increase your coral load you'll want to know calcium, alk and mag values, and how fast they are being used up. I don't mean every time you add a frag, but if you add a large stony coral or clam perhaps.
I had planned on 20lt water change a week till i get a skimmer, and monitor ( 195 lt tank). 20lt rodi water cost me $12 so planning on my own filtre down the track. I plan on only FOWLR but the guys at the LFS laughed and said "sure you will, heard that before". Maybe next tank when im more confident will be a reef tank.
__________________

__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3ft, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.