New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like they said in "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" "Remain calm." They are a expected occurrence in a new setup. Just vacuum them out and soon they will have exported the material they are growing on. Keep up with the water changes. They will go away. Or if they persist, there are other remedies to go to. Be sure to use RO/DI water.

Like they said in "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" "Remain calm." They are a expected occurrence in a new setup. Just vacuum them out and soon they will have exported the material they are growing on. Keep up with the water changes. They will go away. Or if they persist, there are other remedies to go to. Be sure to use RO/DI water.

LOL... Im alert but not alarmed. I use nothing but RODI . Is this a sign that maybe i need to do more water changes? I dont have a skimmer.

We can't tell you fore sure. What do your test kits say? How much are you feeding? Use your best judgement and come up with a plan. Meanwhile. diatoms come and go in new systems. No worries.

We can't tell you fore sure. What do your test kits say? How much are you feeding? Use your best judgement and come up with a plan. Meanwhile. diatoms come and go in new systems. No worries.

Should i be cleaning the arrogate with a gravel cleaner? Or is that not needed.

Not needed. It's funny how many people here have recently become alarmed about diatoms in new systems. Here's the story;

Silica is a major element is much of nature. It is present in all out oceans and as such in much of the life. Diatoms are a silica eating bacteria and that is what you are seeing. Diatoms don't eat other stuff, so once the silica is gone, the diatoms will dissappear. Snails, crabs and even corals eat diatoms. That means the silica gets into their shells etc. Arogate and other coral based sands are made of coral, therefore have silica in them. That is what the diatoms are eating.

Let the diatoms run their course. The more you see the faster they'll consume the silica. Eventually it (silica) will get out of your system via your skimmer or macroalgea or get bonded into your live corals and snail/crab shells.

That's correct, except diatoms use silicates to form their shells, it isn't nourishment for them. Silica is the base material that makes glass. it is biologically pretty neutral. Otherwise right on.

Not needed. It's funny how many people here have recently become alarmed about diatoms in new systems. Here's the story;

Silica is a major element is much of nature. It is present in all out oceans and as such in much of the life. Diatoms are a silica eating bacteria and that is what you are seeing. Diatoms don't eat other stuff, so once the silica is gone, the diatoms will dissappear. Snails, crabs and even corals eat diatoms. That means the silica gets into their shells etc. Arogate and other coral based sands are made of coral, therefore have silica in them. That is what the diatoms are eating.

Let the diatoms run their course. The more you see the faster they'll consume the silica. Eventually it (silica) will get out of your system via your skimmer or macroalgea or get bonded into your live corals and snail/crab shells.

Thanks guys.. I dont have a skimmer. Should i beef up water changes a bit for a while? Should i get a HOB Skimmer?

Just added a Valentini Puffer.. Got him for $34.95. Good size too.

Attachments

• image-3338594529.jpg
    image-3338594529.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 60
Great fish absolute loved mine till I took tank down to move!

Moved house and bought new tank and was delay between moving out and in so I'm starting tank up from scratch now. Fed him king prawns, cockles, mysis, brine and any other frozen foods I could get to keep it mixed. Just make sure you feed it shelled food every week. Mine was hand feeding by 3rd day too. I kept mine with shrimps and just kept well fed and there was no issues

Great just walked in on a threesome

Attachments

• image-1642081322.jpg
    image-1642081322.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 113
The tank yesterday. Too rude for a pic today

Attachments

• image-2473500198.jpg
    image-2473500198.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 127
That blue starfish looks like a blue linkia, which from what I have read everywhere don't do well in aquariums. They need pristine water at the very least. Not to discourage you but it will probably starve to death over a couple months as no one is exactly sure what they eat. However, good luck with it.

That blue starfish looks like a blue linkia, which from what I have read everywhere don't do well in aquariums. They need pristine water at the very least. Not to discourage you but it will probably starve to death over a couple months as no one is exactly sure what they eat. However, good luck with it.

He often has 1 or 2 arms up catching free floating microbes. I believe They also eat small pieces of clam meat if you place under them, and pellets. He tends to hang near the moray i think because of the leftovers he has. The moray will only let the starfish and lion fish anywhere near him. The lionfish wont eat Any scraps.

If you see it eating stuff that's always good, I hope he works out for you. Definitely an awesome starfish.

Back
Top Bottom