New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.amazon.com/CoralVue-Technology-Octopus-Aquarium-75-Gallon/dp/B003YQU5XY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1369860085&sr=8-5&keywords=BH-100

Consider a Skimmer an investment for all future tanks! You can use a skimmer for freshwater and saltwater. If you want a Dwarf Lion you will need a Skimmer, no ways around it. The one I linked is a good skimmer, and it's worth getting.

When I started my tank, I had nothing! I spent well over a thousand dollars for a 29 gallon tank. When I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank, I spent only 300 at the most, because I had everything already. All I had to do was get some more sand and rock and the tank.

Live rock is an investment as well, as you can almost always sell it for the price you bought it, and you can use it forever in newer tanks you upgrade too. So if you look at the skimmer and live rock as investments, than it really is cheaper than it sounds.

I wouldn't skip out on the Skimmer, OR the Live rock! Having at least 50 pounds of rock is going to help you tremeindoudsly in filtration, and that's around $200 well spent!!
The cheaper way of course is to just get base rock, and overtime the rock well become live. That is cheaper, just buy some base rock, and a few pounds of live to seed the base rock. For 50 gallons, 50 pounds of rock is good to have!! I had 55 pounds for my 29 gallon!

This is Dry Rock!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-dry-live-rock-live-sand.html

Get your bulk of rock dry! Than seed it with a few pounds of life rock.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393

your LFS should have live rock, so you don't need to order it online, your LFS should also have base (dry) rock!

I have to question how you can use a skimmer for freshwater. Makes no sense to me.

Consider the cost of salt and RO water (if you are buying it) into the do more water changes to avoid a skimmer route. Not only will a skimmer help your system it will also lower your water mixing costs if you're not having to change so much often.

+1 ditch the freshwater gravel. You'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.

I have to question how you can use a skimmer for freshwater. Makes no sense to me.

Consider the cost of salt and RO water (if you are buying it) into the do more water changes to avoid a skimmer route. Not only will a skimmer help your system it will also lower your water mixing costs if you're not having to change so much often.

I did ditch the gravel... Will look at a skimmer later on definantly

You can use it for freshwater, it might not really do anything, but it can be used. It will help a little, but not as much as it will for a Saltwater tank. Use it for a salt set up, but if you end up tearing down your salt set up to go back to fresh, why not use it. If you got it, use it. It's not going to kill your tank if you use it for freshwater, but it's not really going to do a lot. All I said was is you could use it, I never said what the benefits are, but their is some but not much to really worry about a skimmer for freshwater.

Ok so today went and bought 10kg of Serenity Natural Arrogate and i removed the old gravel base. I waited for the tank to settle and syphoned out the remaining gravel and a few leftover freshwater warm carcasses. Added well cleaned Arrogate. Any suggestions regarding if i still should add a dead cooked prawn to the tank??

Make that Aragonite not arrogate.

You can use it for freshwater, it might not really do anything, but it can be used. It will help a little, but not as much as it will for a Saltwater tank. Use it for a salt set up, but if you end up tearing down your salt set up to go back to fresh, why not use it. If you got it, use it. It's not going to kill your tank if you use it for freshwater, but it's not really going to do a lot. All I said was is you could use it, I never said what the benefits are, but their is some but not much to really worry about a skimmer for freshwater.

Honestly I am not trying to critique or nit pick but that's just bad advice saying a skimmer does anything other than create water movement for freshwater. Better off running the pump w/o the skimmer in that case. Zero filtration for a FW setup.

skimmers will work on a fw planted tank
you would be surprised how much skim-mate it will pull out

I cycled my tank using a dead uncooked shrimp I got from the super market. I would go that route and wait the three weeks or more for it to cycle. I always suggest putting it in some panty hose so you don't have to pull it out with your bare hands when your done cycling. I pulled it out with my bare hands, and I almost threw up. lol

Keithhjs - it's ok, like I said there is some times you can use it and it does bring some (not as much as saltwater) benefits for a FW. I only said it because the LFS I go too use it for one of their FW tanks.

So just to clarify tou dont use Prime when using RO water?

I have now decided must have a snowflake moray eel. The you tube videos didnt help just made it worse. Anyone owned one before?

Right. the bacteria colony you make will reside on surfaces. Surfaces of your rock and sand, glass etc.

Ok i will go in the morning first thing. Off work tmrw thank god.. So i was told you can use base rock with live rock on top correct ?

I also have used two trays in my filter to house Matrix media which i heard is 40 times better at creating BB than standard filtre media.

Back
Top Bottom