Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Absolutely. They will help keep the water aerated, ph stable, and keep the tank clean.
What do you think about a quarantine tank ? Are they really necessary .

Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Most say they are invaluable, but I don't use one. I find that the best medicine for a sick fish is a stress free environment. I believe my display to be closer to that than an empty tank with a couple pieces of bright white pvc pipes in it.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Mr X that being stress- free takes care of a lot. Most marine ailments are stress related in one way or another. With not using QT (at least with new additions) you run the risk of introducing something nasty into your tank. To me, that can be an expensive gamble. I've been on both the winning and losing sides of that over the years, so I QT new additions now.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd have to agree I have lost my entire dt tank due to marine velvet when I started ... I qt all new fish I have not lost any in two years now since ...prevention is the key..
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27 View Post
I'd have to agree I have lost my entire dt tank due to marine velvet when I started ... I qt all new fish I have not lost any in two years now since ...prevention is the key..
No i think Money is the key..
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Most say they are invaluable, but I don't use one. I find that the best medicine for a sick fish is a stress free environment. I believe my display to be closer to that than an empty tank with a couple pieces of bright white pvc pipes in it.
Do you mean a well thought out tank with heaps of cover
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I agree with Mr X that being stress- free takes care of a lot. Most marine ailments are stress related in one way or another. With not using QT (at least with new additions) you run the risk of introducing something nasty into your tank. To me, that can be an expensive gamble. I've been on both the winning and losing sides of that over the years, so I QT new additions now.
I thought Mr X said he doesn't use a QT. I couldnt afford another tank to QT. im in enough trouble with the misses as it is with this tank ( my Second 3ft tank ). Maybe ill just stick with the Moray. I do have a 20 gallon there not being used just dont have a filtre etc .
Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27 View Post
Thats a great pic of the Clown fish.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

I thought Mr X said he doesn't use a QT. I couldnt afford another tank to QT. im in enough trouble with the misses as it is with this tank ( my Second 3ft tank ). Maybe ill just stick with the Moray. I do have a 20 gallon there not being used just dont have a filtre etc .
Mr X does not. While I admire him for his experience and knowledge (I really do, no sarcasm there), I think that the average aquarist runs a big risk of introducing nasty things into their tanks by not using QT prior to adding new fish.

I did not QT many years ago (I've done salt for 20 years or so) and had a tank with probably $800 worth of fish in it. I added a wrasse as my final addition. It ended up having marine velvet and within a week, I lost everything. Expensive lesson learned. Stress-free is invaluable and does a lot to keep fish healthy and even overcome some things. It does not always work for severe cases. That's just my 80,000 cents of advice though.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Todd's been doing this for about twice as long as me. I've never had anything that severe happen. In a bit over 10 years I lost 1 fish to ich. It was an achilles tang. Good luck I guess.
Meanwhile, you could use the 20 as a qt. You don't even need a "filter". You could just leave some media in your sump of your DT, like some ceramic rings or bio balls for a month or two and toss them in the QT tank, or you could try that bottled bacteria. A power head or two and some PVC pipes/elbows for them to hide in, and there's your QT.

Tags
3ft, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com