Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Todd's been doing this for about twice as long as me. I've never had anything that severe happen. In a bit over 10 years I lost 1 fish to ich. It was an achilles tang. Good luck I guess.
I've been doing it for a while, but you've got me beat knowledge-wise Mr X. . I just speak from my experiences. I've rarely got Ich and only had to treat once with hypo. Couple other times, it was not bad and the fish just "got over it". Velvet kicked my tank's butt back then and then again more recently when I did not QT a new addition because I let my son use my QT for a hermit crab science fair project. My tank is sitting fallow now, just waiting...

For BB, I keep a piece of sponge in the back of my tank and pull it out when needed.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Todd's been doing this for about twice as long as me. I've never had anything that severe happen. In a bit over 10 years I lost 1 fish to ich. It was an achilles tang. Good luck I guess.
Meanwhile, you could use the 20 as a qt. You don't even need a "filter". You could just leave some media in your sump of your DT, like some ceramic rings or bio balls for a month or two and toss them in the QT tank, or you could try that bottled bacteria. A power head or two and some PVC pipes/elbows for them to hide in, and there's your QT.
Good idea

Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

I've been doing it for a while, but you've got me beat knowledge-wise Mr X. . I just speak from my experiences. I've rarely got Ich and only had to treat once with hypo. Couple other times, it was not bad and the fish just "got over it". Velvet kicked my tank's butt back then and then again more recently when I did not QT a new addition because I let my son use my QT for a hermit crab science fair project. My tank is sitting fallow now, just waiting...

For BB, I keep a piece of sponge in the back of my tank and pull it out when needed.
Whats Velvet?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Meanwhile, you could use the 20 as a qt. You don't even need a "filter". You could just leave some media in your sump of your DT, like some ceramic rings or bio balls for a month or two and toss them in the QT tank, or you could try that bottled bacteria. A power head or two and some PVC pipes/elbows for them to hide in, and there's your QT.
Me X What do you think about UV sterilisers, i heard they are good for getting rid of algae .
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Me X What do you think about UV sterilisers, i heard they are good for getting rid of algae .
Sorry thats Mr X not Me X
Old 06-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The only algae they will get rid of is "green water". Nothing that grows on surfaces. I don't think a UV sterilizer is something you would want on a reef tank.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Whats Velvet?
Marine Velvet...a very nasty disease that kills fish pretty fast. It kinda looks like someone rolled your fish in powdered sugar or dust. By the time you can see it, your fish is usually in trouble.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The only algae they will get rid of is "green water". Nothing that grows on surfaces. I don't think a UV sterilizer is something you would want on a reef tank.
I had one on a 45g reef years ago. My LFS swore that it would keep algae at bay and I'd never get stuff like Ich. It's so nice that we now have the Internet and sites like this to give good advice. I agree with Mr X...it only gets what in the water column and can't touch what's on rocks or sand. Makes perfect sense when you really think about it. For algae, watch that you are not overfeeding and consider CUC critters that eat algae or get fish that do the same. Much less expensive and look better than a UV unit IMO.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

I had one on a 45g reef years ago. My LFS swore that it would keep algae at bay and I'd never get stuff like Ich. It's so nice that we now have the Internet and sites like this to give good advice. I agree with Mr X...it only gets what in the water column and can't touch what's on rocks or sand. Makes perfect sense when you really think about it. For algae, watch that you are not overfeeding and consider CUC critters that eat algae or get fish that do the same. Much less expensive and look better than a UV unit IMO.
Ok... Have noticed a bit of algae on the corner of one of my live rock pieces that wasnt there before.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pic of algae
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3516339505.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	181112  

Tags
3ft, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com