Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Ok... Have noticed a bit of algae on the corner of one of my live rock pieces that wasnt there before.
Todd does the pic i attached look like algae?
__________________

__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
The purple is coralline algae, which most people want. The green looks like the kind people don't want. Is that spot in your tank getting sunlight or something that's making it come up just in that one place?
__________________

__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
The purple is coralline algae, which most people want. The green looks like the kind people don't want. Is that spot in your tank getting sunlight or something that's making it come up just in that one place?
Possibly... it was also in the corner of the tank against the glass. I have moved it now and added a tunza powerhead for flow. What would be a good edition for algae that wont be devoured by my snowflake moray when i add it
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't worry about it yet. I also wouldn't add to the bio load to try and reduce nutrients. In other words, don't buy something that eats algae, because you will always have to have algae present to feed it or it will die, and it's still going to poop out what it eats.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I wouldn't worry about it yet. I also wouldn't add to the bio load to try and reduce nutrients. In other words, don't buy something that eats algae, because you will always have to have algae present to feed it or it will die, and it's still going to poop out what it eats.
So Mr X and Todd what do you recommend for my first fish. Want a few first before i add the moray eel. So i guess good tank mates for a moray.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
It's got to be something that the eel can't get it's mouth around and that fits a 50g ....maybe some kind of smaller wrasse like a Christmas or Radiant? Maybe a Toby puffer? Flame Hawk?

It is always tough to give ideas on subjective things like this. Check out places like Bluezooaquatics or liveaquaria for ideas and pay attention to suggested tank sizes. Run ideas by us here.

Are you going to be running a skimmer?
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
It's got to be something that the eel can't get it's mouth around and that fits a 50g ....maybe some kind of smaller wrasse like a Christmas or Radiant? Maybe a Toby puffer? Flame Hawk?

It is always tough to give ideas on subjective things like this. Check out places like Bluezooaquatics or liveaquaria for ideas and pay attention to suggested tank sizes. Run ideas by us here.

Are you going to be running a skimmer?
What about dog face puffer ( my boys dont believe they are real ) Yeah was thinking reef octopus HB90 HOB.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
They a foot long and need a larger tank to move around. Puffers like Toby's or Sharpnose are about half that size and would work.
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
They a foot long and need a larger tank to move around. Puffers like Toby's or Sharpnose are about half that size and would work.
Geez... Didnt know that.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Geez... Didnt know that.
Do you know what this is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-225253615.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	181554  
__________________

__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3ft, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.