New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want consistent water temps. If you can keep you tank about the same temp all year long, I think chillers are not necessary. If you are like me and live in the desert where its gonna be 120 this weekend, a chiller is better than running the AC all day.

Very few fish need water lower than 78 degrees. There are some cold water fish though (Catalina gobies come to mind) and they likely would need a chiller.

So if it got to 95 would that kill most salt water aquarium fish?

I try to maintain 79*/81* but try to keep it closer to 79* I just use computer fans for air circulation along with a ceiling fan

I try to maintain 79*/81* but try to keep it closer to 79* I just use computer fans for air circulation along with a ceiling fan

It gets to about 38c here in summer so i will need an air con then

So just returned the mimic file fish and returned home with a dwarf lion fish.

Here is the new Lionfish. The LFS guy fed him for me before i bought him.

Attachments

• image-3448053274.jpg
    image-3448053274.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 79
None of the ones you will get on live rock will grow any larger than you see there, and they are good scavengers. the ones that eat fish are the ones you see at the LFS for sale. The large green ones.

As for the food, you should have made them feed it in front of you before buying it. They do tend to tell stories here and there. That said, go to the LFS and pick up some live black worms or blood worms if he's not eating. Mine ate only those for a couple weeks, but never went to flake. I've had him a year and he still turns his nose up to flake and pellets. I feed him frozen chopped fish and shrimp mostly, along with nori on a clip of course.

Mr X should i use Carbon in the Filtre.

Carbon is good to use. I can't see a reason not to, if you care to go through the trouble.

Mr X my lionfish has a cloudy left eye. Do you know what causes this?

Attachments

• image-361302162.jpg
    image-361302162.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 76
Mr X should i use Carbon in the Filtre.

Also have this slug looking thingy, is it ok or a pest?
I added the Moray today, what an awesome creature. Lionfish is very intrigued by him ( i think its a him).

Slug thingy

Attachments

• image-3967742848.jpg
    image-3967742848.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 59
Cloudy eyes can be a water quality issue, sometimes an injury or a bacterial infection. If the eye is uniformaly cloudy, it is likely not an injury. If one area looks bad, its probably injury and fish can usually get bettor simply through good diet and keeping water as pristine as possible. If your parameters are pristine, that eliminates that possibility and leaves bacterial infection or possibly the signs of a disease coming on (some have this as a symptom, but often both eyes are cloudy). You can QT, improve diet, treat for bacterial infection and keep pristine water. You can also try improving water and diet alone, which may work on its own without medication.

Cloudy eyes can be a water quality issue, sometimes an injury or a bacterial infection. If the eye is uniformaly cloudy, it is likely not an injury. If one area looks bad, its probably injury and fish can usually get bettor simply through good diet and keeping water as pristine as possible. If your parameters are pristine, that eliminates that possibility and leaves bacterial infection or possibly the signs of a disease coming on (some have this as a symptom, but often both eyes are cloudy). You can QT, improve diet, treat for bacterial infection and keep pristine water. You can also try improving water and diet alone, which may work on its own without medication.

Is food poisoning a possibility? I may have left the Krill out a bit long and possible re froze them to some degree. The lion fisk keeps squeezing between two pieces of rock for some reason so guess injury possible. Yes its just one eye. Parameters are or at-least were good. I got a new pellet food as well, its soft and sinks and is Very good allegedly.

Do you know what the slug thingy is? Thanks for your help. My wife calls me the todd sometimes as its my middle name. Weird...

Also if i replace the filtre media in my cannister and tip that water, which in-turn reduces the water capacity. Will it affect anything if i dont replace that water immediatly ?

I'm not sure about the slug. Sorry.

Check your parameters. It could be as simple as doing some water changes and maybe adding some vitamin supplements to food. I'm not sure about the food poisoning idea. Maybe someone else would know about refereeing food like that.

I'm not sure about the slug. Sorry.

Check your parameters. It could be as simple as doing some water changes and maybe adding some vitamin supplements to food. I'm not sure about the food poisoning idea. Maybe someone else would know about refereeing food like that.

Ok Thanks. I read something about food poisoning before.

No. Fish don't get food poisoning. The slug is some sort of cucumber. Just watch it to see what it eats before getting paranoid and tossing it in the garbage. It should be fine in your predator tank.

Back
Top Bottom