New 400L FOWLR!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well not so much new but 2nd hand. New to me. I saved a fortune with this setup.

I have a clearseal tank with a sump, skimmer, live rock, dsb and anything else you would expect to see in a tank of this size.

I recently bought this setup 2nd hand however the previous owner had actually half emptied the tank, enptied the sump which left the green sponge filters to dry up, turned everything off and had left it like this for a week to 2 weeks. I have now set everything up and all seems to be running well. Even the water paramaters seems to be 'OK'.

As this is not a brand new setup up i was wondering what i should look out for. And hint, tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I love good deals :dance:

I would restart the whole process as if you bought everything new. Throw away the sand. Then clean the tank, sump, and skimmer. After everything is clean, put in your LR and and begin cycling.

Do you have pictures?

I actually have everything set up and running now so I don't really want to throw anything away.the aquarium was quite dirty when I got it. I've cleaned the sand as best as possible and I will be clean it daily carrying out small water changes. One thing I didnt do was wash the green sponges before filling it up. I am considering taking these out to wash in clean saltwater. Any thoughts?

Green sponge filter pads? I would throw them away. Unless you know the previous owner well, then treat the whole system as if it was diseased and had all kinds of problems.

I will see if i can upload some images later!

I did winder about these sponges as ive never seen them in a marine setup before. Should i replace them with the wool stuff and perhaps a bit of carbon?

Back
Top Bottom