new 55 gallon fowlr advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nalaka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I just started getting into aquariums, and have just bought a used 55 gallon aquarium, it didnt come with any equipment so I have been doing some research onthe equipment I need.

So far the equipment I picked out are:

Aquac remora protien skimmer
2 150w aquarium heaters
3 maxjet 1200's (is 3 overkill?)
Aquaclear 110 (will this be okay for a 55 gal tank?)
48" 130w aquarium light hood power compact coral marine
2 65w 50/50 pl lamps
Coralife digital thermometer

What do you think of my equipment list so far? Is there anything else I need?
Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think the list can be tweaked a bit. :) I woudln't go with 2 heaters unless you really feel strongly about redundancy. As far as powerheads I would pass on the maxi jets adn just get 2 koralia 750's.

As far as lights go depends on what you intend to keep. Do you want corals in the future? If so you might wanna check out some T5 4 bulb fixtures.

Thanks,
I wanted the 2 heaters because the person that sold me the tank gave me one 150w heater, would it be better to have just one? I'm also not apposed to corals, but it would be later on and I probably wont get too many, can I get buy with 2 lights or would 4 be better?

Is there also any other equipment I would need? I'm just getting started so I think I need pretty much everything

I have a 150w heater in my 55g but my house temperature doesnt vary over 4 degree either way usually. depending on where you live, if it gets really cold there you might want a single 200w or a 250w even. Having two heaters in my opinion is nice cause if one goes you still have one going. so that one is up to you, one means less clutter on the back of the tank as well.

If youre only sticking with fish only with live rock (FOWLR) then I would say pass on the skimmer for now and get the light upgrade. I don't know how much the fixture is that youre looking at but for a tad more you can probably get the fixture that corals will need at the get go.

:)

You might want to look into a RO/DI unit, also I think a refractometer is nice to have, but these are things you could always get after you get up and running.

Hi, does the refractometer replace the test kit? And I just bought the protien skimmer and I will be getting the lights next

The refractometer is to test salinity only. It will replace the hydrometer swing arm thingee. :)

Back
Top Bottom