New 55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigred1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g freshwater tank that I'm going convert to saltwater in the near future and I have some questions I hope y'all can help me with! I have everything I need as far as equipment except filters. I have two hang on power filters on the freshwater tank and I plan on having live rock in my saltwater tank. I was wondering if I really need a different filtration system. I know the live rock will do a lot of the filtering, but do I need another type of filter or will I be able to just use the power filters I already have. I'm low on funds at the moment so I'm hoping I don't have to buy new filters.

The Live Rock is your primary biological filtration. That, combined with a protein skimmer and water changes, is your filtration system. There are other options, but that's the simplest, IMO. Hang on filters not really needed here.

MacDracor said:
The Live Rock is your primary biological filtration. That, combined with a protein skimmer and water changes, is your filtration system. There are other options, but that's the simplest, IMO. Hang on filters not really needed here.

Ok thanks! Next question, is the protein skimmer completely necessary? I have read conflicting information about that.

Well, the protein skimmer keeps DOCs under control, and pulls nasty stuff out of the water. Without it, you'll need to do a lot of water changes, and pretty large ones. I wouldn't attempt a reef tank without one, unless it was very small.

At 55g youre just over the threshold for needing one in my opinion. I ran my 55g with a remora hang on back and really liked it, did a wonderful job and was under $200.

I ran a 55g without a skimmer for 2 months and the docs build up without massive water changes. The water turns yellowish and u can just feel the nutrients building up in The tank with out it

I pretty much just have a skimmer on mine and a powerhead with a sponge to filter the water on the opposite side of the tank and it works good

Back
Top Bottom