Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New 55g Tank

I have a 55g freshwater tank that I'm going convert to saltwater in the near future and I have some questions I hope y'all can help me with! I have everything I need as far as equipment except filters. I have two hang on power filters on the freshwater tank and I plan on having live rock in my saltwater tank. I was wondering if I really need a different filtration system. I know the live rock will do a lot of the filtering, but do I need another type of filter or will I be able to just use the power filters I already have. I'm low on funds at the moment so I'm hoping I don't have to buy new filters.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Live Rock is your primary biological filtration. That, combined with a protein skimmer and water changes, is your filtration system. There are other options, but that's the simplest, IMO. Hang on filters not really needed here.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
The Live Rock is your primary biological filtration. That, combined with a protein skimmer and water changes, is your filtration system. There are other options, but that's the simplest, IMO. Hang on filters not really needed here.
Ok thanks! Next question, is the protein skimmer completely necessary? I have read conflicting information about that.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the protein skimmer keeps DOCs under control, and pulls nasty stuff out of the water. Without it, you'll need to do a lot of water changes, and pretty large ones. I wouldn't attempt a reef tank without one, unless it was very small.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

At 55g youre just over the threshold for needing one in my opinion. I ran my 55g with a remora hang on back and really liked it, did a wonderful job and was under $200.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

I ran a 55g without a skimmer for 2 months and the docs build up without massive water changes. The water turns yellowish and u can just feel the nutrients building up in The tank with out it
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

I pretty much just have a skimmer on mine and a powerhead with a sponge to filter the water on the opposite side of the tank and it works good

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com