New 60 Gallon FOWLR - Trouble with Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digital Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have followed AA for about six months but just recently joined as a member. Overall, I have found AA a great resource. With that said, I could use a little advice.

I started out with a freshwater tank eight years ago (first 20 gallons and then moved up to 45 gallons) and finally added a FOWLR tank this past November. Its a 60 gallon cube tank with a sump and protein skimmer and I utilized fully cured live rock and sand to start. So far, so good. Since the end of November, I have added two clown fish, five snails and a chocolate chip sea star. Ammonia and nitrites are zero with only trace amounts of nitrates. My only problem has been my attempt at adding an angel. I added a bicolor angel two weeks ago and it died after a week. I went back to the LFS and they gave me a flame angel at a discount a week ago and now it also died after a week. All other inhabitants are fine and I was under the impression angels weren't that difficult to maintain. Any insight? I keep the tank at about 78-79 degrees and specific gravity is at about 1.023 and 1.024.

Any other suggestions for stocking the tank?

Thanks!!!

flame angels are not the hardiest. i know that much. What is your water source? Dwarf angels are not tolerant of copper. If you're using tap copper could be in the water. There's always a possibility that it's just a coincidence, but hard to say.

What is your pH?

Sorry about your fish. Angels can be difficult to get them eating at first. Were they eating? Did you give them algae sheets? Might want to try a different LFS?

Thanks for the replies. Ph is about 7.9 and I am using tap water with the conditioner. They seemed to be eating, primarily brine shrimp. I didn't try algae wafers - perhaps they werent eating enough. Thanks.

Ro/di is highly recommended by prolly everyone. I would ask how did u acclimate the fish? And were they eating at the store? Because flame angels are popular fish and to have. I find it odd they would discount the angel

Thanks for the replies. Ph is about 7.9 and I am using tap water with the conditioner. They seemed to be eating, primarily brine shrimp. I didn't try algae wafers - perhaps they werent eating enough. Thanks.

Also, angels need some spirulina or algae sheets. Brine is fine, but shouldn't be the only food offered, because its not all that nutritional. I give my angle about 1/8-1/4 sheet per day of algae. And he tears right into it, loves the stuff.

I would say its your water . Any idea on the tds? I agree on the more nutritional diet, but don't see them dying in under a week if they were eating.

I am not sure on the tds. I will have to get something to read it. Just learning more now about the need for rodi. I was originally under the impression it was better but not a necessity for a fowlr tank.

i agree it is not necessary for a fowlr, but i still would not use tap.

distilled, reverse osmosis, purified. anything like that would be fine for a fowlr.

Back
Top Bottom