Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now your PH is rated at 695gph which is probably the min you would want to run in your tank. This will be fine for a fowlr but if you are getting corals later i do belive you will want more flow. The rule of thumb is approx 10-20 times your tank capacity you should aim for as a turnover rate (720 gph- 1440gph). I don't want to say for sure but i think i read somewhere a turnover rate higher than what i mentioned ( as high as 30x) with some corals.

As far as tap water goes i started that way by adding stress coat ( or any declorinator) to tap water. After doing some further reading i decided to to check my PO4 after algea started to become more plentiful. I found my water ( which is city water) to have some PO4 in it. This was helping to feed the algea. By starting to use RO water for PWC's i have dropped my reading in my tank to a low or almost undetectable amount. The algea growth has slowed down so my clean up crew can now almost keep up with it. A reduction of lighting tome was needed as well. I would suggest, if it is not to late, to start with RO or RO/DI water. You can usually get it at major grocery stores. HTH

Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canyon15,

Thank you. Can you tell me what brand do you use and if there is online store that carries?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am using an aquaclear right now and have no complaints. My knowledge on PH brands and how they compare is lacking so i cannot say which would be better and which would be worse. As far as online stores go there are so many out there. Where i am in Canada i try to order my equip. for here so i don't have to pay duty unless i see a smokin deal in which i don't care where it comes from. I like Ebay but sometimes there is no guarantee on what you buy. May be try liveaquaria.com, petsolutions.com or some of the sponsors on this site. There are lots of sites so take the time and shop around. HTH.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk
1.5/2 lbs per gallon is a lot. I am not really worried about the cost, but more worried that nearly two thirds of the tank would have just rocks.
Go with 1.5. That is a good # and it won't take up 2/3 of the tank. It sound like a lot but once you aquascape you will realize it isn't as much as you thought.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Can you tell me what brand do you use and if there is online store that carries?
I’ve use the following powerheads and recommend anyone of them.
Maxi-Jet 1200
Penguin 1140
Seio Super Pump I like these the best personally and just replaced my other three pumps with two of these
Old 02-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Rio 2100 that is used a return line. If want to purchase another powerhead, where do I put it. Can I put this in the sump and run the water back to the tank? Or is there some pump that I can put in the water which will circulate the water in the tank itself? Do I make sense at all?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Can I put this in the sump and run the water back to the tank?
Most ph have very little head pressure so you want them in the tank since the gph pushing from the sump would take a 300 gph pump down to a 100 or less gph pump.

The 3 listed would work well in the tank placing one on each end and facing each other for good convulsing currents. If you don’t like the look of ph in the tank then you could also do a closed loop system but it’s more work.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

That closed loop system is lot of work for me. I think I have to forgo aesthetics and add two or three powerheads right into the tank.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question: Instead of running two or three ph inside the tank, is it better to put another powerful ph (like rio 2100 which is rated at 650gph) which will pump the water from the sump to the tank?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Thats why I like the Seio Super Pumps They put out a ton of gph but the flow isn't too overwhelming for the fish Two Seio M620 alone would give you a 17 times turnover.

Tags
72g, fowlr, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com