Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakaiguy View Post
So what is "cleaner shrimp"???
Most of the time when folks say "cleaner shrimp," they are referring to the skunk cleaner shrimp (what the OP had a picture of).

However, there are actually several species of cleaner shrimp including the peppermints, fire shrimp, coral banded and more. The reason they are called cleaner shrimp is that in the wild, they will stake out a small territory where fish will come to have dead skin and parasites removed and even have stuff removed from inside of their mouths. You can probably find photos or videos of them climbing over morays or groupers providing this service. (I seem to remember reading that scientists think the long white antennae send a signal to the fish that signals "don't eat me!") In captivity, the skunk cleaners are the only ones I know that will still do this regularly.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

Most of the time when folks say "cleaner shrimp," they are referring to the skunk cleaner shrimp (what the OP had a picture of).

However, there are actually several species of cleaner shrimp including the peppermints, fire shrimp, coral banded and more. The reason they are called cleaner shrimp is that in the wild, they will stake out a small territory where fish will come to have dead skin and parasites removed and even have stuff removed from inside of their mouths. You can probably find photos or videos of them climbing over morays or groupers providing this service. (I seem to remember reading that scientists think the long white antennae send a signal to the fish that signals "don't eat me!") In captivity, the skunk cleaners are the only ones I know that will still do this regularly.
Actually the blood shrimp will too! When I had my yellow tang my blood shrimp would sit on a rock and the tang would stop for a few and let him do that. What he was picking at...I have no idea as I've not had any parasites or ich in years (Pleaseeeee quarantine your fish before putting in your main tank!!) but he did! He's very easy going, not at all aggressive, and a deep red color that looks good. Some say they hide in caves all day but mine never does this unless the cat jumps up on the stand...dumb cat...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The skunk cleaners will pick off bits of dead skin and scales as well as parasites. Here's apic of mine cleaning my bartletts anthias. He'll do the same thing to your cuticles!! LOVE my cleaner!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-604197727.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	121953

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2377349161.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	121954
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

He hides at night under a rock, but as soon as the lights are on and I start feeding he jumps out and runs after food. He is actually (I am assuming its a he) a skunk cleaner shrimp.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com