New addition doing great!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here is my new guy.

My new guy is a dog face puffer...

Attachments

• image-3348494904.jpg
    image-3348494904.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 155
  • image-977002497.jpg
    image-977002497.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image-1525940390.jpg
    image-1525940390.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1681740439.jpg
    image-1681740439.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 158
Nice!!! I have a Stars and Stripes puffer and love him. Very personal, and recognizes me when I walk in the room. Me= food! Lol

Thanks.... This guy might be crazy. I came home to fund him grilling" showing his teeth At himself in the reflection of the glass"

I guess I got a special one ohhhh well

Shaker said:
Thanks.... This guy might be crazy. I came home to fund him grilling" showing his teeth At himself in the reflection of the glass"

I guess I got a special one ohhhh well

LOL! That's funny! I read on a different post that someone had put a little ball in that floated on top and their puffer would push it around and play with it!

Nice puffer. I used to have a Saddle Valentini and miss it. They have such personalities. Your comment he sees you and knows it means food reminded me that my fish sitter said when he came to feed last month when I was on vacation that my fish wouldn't come out and he said they missed me lol. Every time he saw them before they were always out and then when he came over without me they just hid :p

... Well... You've done it. You've convinced me to buy a puffer, they just seem like such personable little fellas. When I first got the idea of starting saltwater I really wanted a dogface, but they get too big for a 75. The saddle puffers are cool, but are there any puffers around the 8" mark that would do good in a 75?

chris1610 said:
... Well... You've done it. You've convinced me to buy a puffer, they just seem like such personable little fellas. When I first got the idea of starting saltwater I really wanted a dogface, but they get too big for a 75. The saddle puffers are cool, but are there any puffers around the 8" mark that would do good in a 75?

These are the puffers that LA state as needing minimum 50g:
Papuan Toby puffer
Saddle puffer
Saddle Valentini puffer
Spotted puffer
Blue spotted puffer
Leopard puffer
Bennett's sharp nose puffer

Hope you find one you like! Puffers are so cute!

These are the puffers that LA state as needing minimum 50g:
Papuan Toby puffer
Saddle puffer
Saddle Valentini puffer
Spotted puffer
Blue spotted puffer
Leopard puffer
Bennett's sharp nose puffer

Hope you find one you like! Puffers are so cute!

I really like the papuan toby puffer, I just hope it can hold it's own with a trigger. Because it only grows to 5" it's not the biggest fella in the tank, I'll tell ya that.

Anyway:thanks:

chris1610 said:

The blue spotted would be the best for your tank... They get bigger than all the other Toby's I believe plus there are gorgeous

I want to see pics of him grillin!

I think puffers are so awesome, I wish I had unlimited space I would love to get to know some first hand. This is probably a dumb question but do puffers ever "puff"? We see pics of them puffed and I know it is a defense mechanism not regular behavior, just curious if it happens to domestic specimens?

I went to my lfs and one of the guys there told me a story of how this couple was in their store and the girlfriend was complaining and didn't like all the "disgusting" fish. She leaned against one of the acrylic tanks that held a huge puffer. Well this puffer spits water when it wants food...apparently puffers can spit! Well the puffer thought he was getting fed and spit right down her neck! She screamed and he said it was hilarious and she got her karma! :ROFLMAO:

marsh said:
I want to see pics of him grillin!

I think puffers are so awesome, I wish I had unlimited space I would love to get to know some first hand. This is probably a dumb question but do puffers ever "puff"? We see pics of them puffed and I know it is a defense mechanism not regular behavior, just curious if it happens to domestic specimens?

The younger they are the easier they puff. This is cause just like a young dog or kid they get scared easier. Mine however is a young guy and he has not puffed and probally never will cause I have adequate room for him and good tank mates.

My tank mates

1x 2 foot long snowflake eel
1x med size lion fish

I know some people may say wow those are aggresive fish. They can't be more wrong.

The lion is a very docile fish just gets hungry however would never bother a fish that wasn't seen as food.

Now for the snowflake eel. Mine is large and is an extremely boring specimen of this fish species. He just sits in his rocks and only comes out every 3 to 4 days to eat.

It's also not a good thing to have them
Puff a few complication can occur when they do.

They are also not as hardy as everyone makes them seem to be. Almost all puffers come with parasites , mostly internal due to the crap they eat. I however do not qt my fish but I search for the best fish I can buy and know what to look for.

Also I've had a couple puffers prior and it's not a good idea to keep smaller size ones with power heads inside the tank or other strong water movement devices cause they can be sucked to them and 100 percent if the time causes death.

I know y'all see mine swimming next to my powerhead however I have it disconnects now and need to take it out.

These are just my own opinions not that of a professional but I can tell you my fish are healthy and happy.

I see you went with the puffer awesome find and the snowflake looks really big

Elmo1287 said:
I see you went with the puffer awesome find and the snowflake looks really big

I did go with puffer and my eel is huge....

Attachments

• image-1105900883.jpg
    image-1105900883.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 127
So now that you have had your puffer for a few days, how is he? Hopefully still good. I know you and I debate at times, but I can't agree with you more. My lionfish is probably the least aggressive in the aggressive tank! I think if they were called something less masculine like kittyfish, they wouldn't have such bad egos as terrible predators. I keep mine nice and well fed too, and he has never shown aggression, except for the fish and shrimp, and some times prawns that he eats. And I do think puffers are very personable, same with Hawkfish. you and I do the same thing, we don't always quarantine! Yeah I get a lot of debate about it, but I shop for fish with 0 signs of problems. I don't always get lucky, but first sign a fish is sick, I yank them out and treat them. And if they get too sick, I bring them to my LFS who is more than willing to treat them for me. I am lucky on that sense.

All the fish are doing great!!!!! The puffer is so awesome. Today he ate a lil buy of a silverslide and some brine. The lion fish doesn't mind him at all, the eel doesn't even know that he is there.

The tank is a 90 gallon built in overflow.
20 gallon sump
Marienland magnum canister filter
Coral life turbo twist uv sterilizer
External 1100 gph main return pump
Pro clear protein skimmer

60 pounds of live rock
90 pounds of live arogonite sand
T5 lighting with l.e.d

Attachments

• image-2144438721.jpg
    image-2144438721.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-646706385.jpg
    image-646706385.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4149508209.jpg
    image-4149508209.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2712591514.jpg
    image-2712591514.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1131265882.jpg
    image-1131265882.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3592392690.jpg
    image-3592392690.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 74
All the fish are doing great!!!!! The puffer is so awesome. Today he ate a lil buy of a silverslide and some brine. The lion fish doesn't mind him at all, the eel doesn't even know that he is there.

The tank is a 90 gallon built in overflow.
20 gallon sump
Marienland magnum canister filter
Coral life turbo twist uv sterilizer
External 1100 gph main return pump
Pro clear protein skimmer

60 pounds of live rock
90 pounds of live arogonite sand
T5 lighting with l.e.d

Nice. You don't suppose a dogface would fit in a 75 would ya? If it does, then I must have it :lol: jks I thought they were supposed to be kept in 120's for a minimum. That's a really nice puffer anyway. Good luck with your future experiences with him.(y)

Back
Top Bottom