Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question New addition: Long Tentacle Anemone

I got a Long Tentacle Anemone from my LFS today at around 1pm. He seemed very happy at the store and was hosting a clown, so I bought him to put into my 30g FOWLR.

I placed his foot into a rock crevis but he slowly floated to the bottom at the end of the tank. I target fed it mysis shrimp 4 hours ago and seemed to take it.

He has yet to attach himself to anything. He is just sitting on top of the sand bed. Should I be worried?

Does any1 else have any similar experience with this anemone's acclimation? Is there anything I can do?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty normal my rbta's took about 12 hours then they went looking for a place they like

Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
It will float around until it finds a spot it likes. My first Anemone liked my biggest rock on the back down inside. If you have a overflow or power heads it may get sucked into them. Anemone's need a mature (1 year) system and most need to have high lighting. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

All I have flow wise is a hob filter. Yeah my tank has been established for 2+ years but it's only been in my care for the past 2-3 months. On LiveAquaria it says it requires moderate lighting (2-4 watts per gallon). Right now the tank has an efficient florescent tube light which has an equivalent output of 75 watts (idk what that means really).
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
If your bulb is too old it may not put out what your Anemone needs. This is common with used systems. What type of light is it?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd say the bulb is about a year old. I'm not sure what type of bulb it is other then what a described in the previous post.

Slightly annoyed with the LFS cause I specifically asked if the anemone had any special lighting or flow requirements and they said no :/ But sadly I couldn't pass up the deal (Got him for $11) so I bought him w/o fully researching it and decided to trust the LFS.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update & Pictures

I returned to my LFS today to tell them my worries about the anemone (the fact that it hadn't moved nor attached it's foot anywhere ) they told me not to worry to just put him into a rock crevis w/o the filter on and give him 30 minutes to settle. I also mentioned I only had regular florescent tube light on my tank and if that was enough for the anemone, he said it would be fine.

So when I get home I picked him up from where he had fallen initially (Yellow Arrow) and placed him back where I had placed him the very 1st time (Red Arrow) this time leaving the filter off for 30 min.

After the whole process I went out for 3-4 hours and when I got home he was at the peak of my rock-scape.

I read online that LTA naturally bury/anchor their foot in the sand though I have seen pictures and YouTube videos where they are anchored in a rock crevis.

Why is he on the tipy top like that, so close to the surface, seems dangerous to me.

Below are some pictures.

Any advice would be helpful so I can better understand my anemone and keep it happy. Tyvm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anemone Position.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	135574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anemone Mouth (640x480).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	135575  

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They will go wherever they like it I would say now that he isn't floating around anymore just leave him be. If you like where he is target feed him a small variety of food each day so he thinks he has a great spot. Next get a powerhead you need that flow.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not bad for $11, I would of taken it home myself. Hope all is well with your nem.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know if I like where he is. Once the LTA gets big enough I would like it to host my clown, It never swims at that altitude (SO close to the surface).

I've always been confused about powerheads/circulation pumps (are they the same thing) and what the gph's mean, how much i need. Will have research and see if I can maybe find one on craigslist or something not too expensive.

Also I was thinking, right now the tank has been sitting on low end temp (70-72 F), maybe he went up that high cause it's warmer? maybe I should get a tank heater... idk.

Tags
anemone, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com