New Clown Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennybo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband just bought 2 Clown Fish from a pet store. They were in a giant tank full of about 20 clowns. We have had them for about 3 weeks now. We have been watching their behaviors and trying to figure out which one is going to be the female and which one will stay the male. They are both the same size and they both chase each other around the tank. Sometimes they bite each other in the side and later they are side by side swimming around. One will swim up to the second one and that one will quiver underneath the first one, but later on the role reverses. They both take turns swimming sideways and submitting to the other. They have just kicked the blue damsel fish out of the top cave in the live rock and made the damsel find someplace else to sleep. Is all of this normal behavior? Has one turned female yet or is it to soon?
:multi:

this is normal. genraly the larger one will be the male but in this case the more agressive one will be the male. it still might be too soon but if they have already found a spot in the tank they like it might have happened.

At this point they are both aggresive toward each other at different times and they are both the exact same size! Ugh! How long do you think I will have to wait before being able to tell?

this is normal. genraly the larger one will be the male but in this case the more agressive one will be the male. it still might be too soon but if they have already found a spot in the tank they like it might have happened.

I think you have that backwards Jeff. The dominate one ends up becoming a Female and the smaller submissive fish will stay male.

you prob have to wait at least a month or two max. it shouldn't be long before you start to tell

Sorry but you got it backwards...the larger one is the female and the smaller one is the male. You are getting lots of fights because they are both the same size.
With two the same size you stand the chance of one killing the other.

Last edited:
I hate that all I can do is sit back and watch. I wish there was a way to make them just get along. I would hate to lose one of them. They have a great tank setup and the only other fish in the tank is a blue damsel who has adapted pretty well to the 2 clownfish. Everyone keep their fingers crossed that the clowns work this out.

I know you cant do it now but it`s best to always get a large one and a small one. When they are the same size it kind of makes for alot of fighting.

Back
Top Bottom