Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new clown tang added to tank

How can I get my clown tang to start eating algea

Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

What type of algae do you want him to eat, pest or sheet algae? Did you just introduce him as he is probably adjusting to the tank.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just so we know they are for at least a three hundred gallon tank and for experts only. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but they have those requirements for a reason.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Just so we know they are for at least a three hundred gallon tank and for experts only. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but they have those requirements for a reason.
The OPs profile says a 500 gallon tank so I assumed it was in that tank.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok good. That part is covered. That fish imo is one of those fish I think that are best left in the ocean. Not trying to be mean. Good luck with the fish.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What have you done do far?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My clown tang eats Mysis shrimp, nori and about anything else I throw in with him. They are considered difficult because they are very aggressive and armed for a fight. He is a super active fish that will be a nightmare in a small tank IMO. Beautiful, but goes into the same category as an Achilles tang. I do not plan on adding mine to my reef. He is in a big frag tank right now. Many say a 400 gallon isn't big enough for a clown. They live in highly oxygenated tidal areas.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1741251
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The OP's question had nothing to do with tank size. So why is it brought up. Answer the question or don't and move on.

Onto the question. I agree with what someone said above. Possibly adjusting if a new addition. It took my Hippo a few weeks to even go after nori. even now it will only eat green. wont touch reds or purples. Try some different colors. Also you can try some different ways to place the nori. Clips work great and are easy but some will wrap a rock with itand let the tang dod what come naturally. Graze Good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
The OP's question had nothing to do with tank size. So why is it brought up. Answer the question or don't and move on. Onto the question. I agree with what someone said above. Possibly adjusting if a new addition. It took my Hippo a few weeks to even go after nori. even now it will only eat green. wont touch reds or purples. Try some different colors. Also you can try some different ways to place the nori. Clips work great and are easy but some will wrap a rock with itand let the tang dod what come naturally. Graze Good luck
Who made you moderator? The OP asked about Clown Tangs. When stressed, they don't eat. Your sensitivity about tangs and tank size indicates to me you don't agree, so what? We all have our opinions. Your 90 gallon is even small for a full grown hippo, IMO. Read about a thousand posts from those with fish in too small a tank. Same story over and over again. Do you have a clown tang? I do and he is eating and growing fine. But this is an advice forum, not a cheering squad for whatever you decide to do. Didn't mean to get angry, but don't tell me what advice to post or not post.I also wish the OP the best.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Who made you moderator? The OP asked about Clown Tangs. When stressed, they don't eat. Your sensitivity about tank size indicates to me you don't agree, so what? We all have our opinions. Your 44 gallon has no business with a hippo in it either, IMO. Read about a thousand posts from those with fish in too small a tank. Same story over and over again. Do you have a clown tang? I do and he is eating and growing fine. But this is an advice forum, not a cheering squad for whatever you decide to do. Didn't mean to get angry, but don't tell me what advice to post or not post.I also wish the OP the best.

I moderated nothing. All I did was make a comment, not about you but about the actual moderator that decided to not answer the question, but instead assume that the OP had a tank too small for the clown. As for you, hmmm who cares what you think about my 44. While I don't have it anymore, if I did I would not hesitate to put another tang in it because well its mine and I can do what I want.

I stand corrected the Mod actually made two worthless comments in this thread, not just one. This is the same mod that actually told me to not make comments that have no bearing on the topic.

Tags
clown, tan, tang, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com