Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New clownfish

Ok this is a late question, but other than the visible proof of eggs, how would I know if my newly aquired clown fish were breedable. I just purchased them last night, and they are the only fish in the tank. I plan to run just them for a few months. Would be cool to see little ones but not sure how to know. Anyhow just curious.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
depending on how large they are, one will assume the female role and grow larger than the male. It will take a while before your fish would spawn. your fish are probably tank bred. Nothing is fast in the saltwater world. give them time to grow and adapt to their tank.

buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello thank you.
Yes that is my intentions to just let them be by themselves for a while.
I was so shocked and plumb excited when my readings came out ready. I am picking up my own test kits on Friday, all my reading have been done at LFS. Almost danced a jig right there in the store..:p!
So I bought my pair and now we are off and running. I am so excited. My family thinks I am crazy as I just sit and watch the tank when I have a few moments....but I love my tank.....I think they're just envious...LOL
I was really amazed at how fast it cycled but very grateful also.
Thank you again I appreciate your reply.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yay i am happy to hear your doing well. Watch your water over the next few days, keep an eye on the feeding and enjoy the new friends.. i am exactly where you are. i bought a pair of clowns and i just go sit and watch sometimes. I just finished a fishless cycle and my clowns are the only fish in my tank.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

CONGRATULATION!!!!!!! I am so excited for you also....Ill dance another jig...LOL. I do have my cleanup crew in there and I have an emerald crab. So we are done other than maybe adding more rock down the road as it is pretty expensive in my neck of the woods so I have been doing a little at a time. My next purchase will be the correct lighting as I am just running normal lights. I am not sure what to get...but I plan on researching that later today n then pricing it out....
Congratulations again!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im using a Nova extreme t5 light. they are nice lights and for mine i paid $135'ish
IF your just going FOWLR then normal lights are fine, its if you decide to go corals that you will need to upgrade.

Im excited for you you!!!!!! Congratulations again as well
Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is the light that was suggested I just wasnt sure what all was available to me. I do want to have corrals n such also, but I am building up to that point. I have seen so many cool things and have had to really pace myself.....but I hope to become knowledable enough about my aquarium to move up to a 90 glln. My husband wants rays but that if at all is waaaayyy down the road. Ill just stick to my little beginner tank for now. Though I love looking at the picks on here of everyones elses aqariums they are beautiful. I will post some of mine soon though it looks a little barren.... Time and patience. I have been chanting that for weeks...
Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well off to bed as it is one am here. In addition to my new fish, I also have a new puppy and twin two years olds that will probably run me ragged tomorrow....so better get a few hours of sleep. Thank you again and look forward to talking with you again. Good luck with your aquarium.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Another success story, congrats Aquarium!!!
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Clowns aren't ready to spawn until they are at least 2 years old. Unless you got them from a breeder and they know exactly how old they are it is hard to tell. As was mentioned one will become larger and more aggressive and that will be the female. A good sign of when they are getting close is the female will get a very large rounded belly. My breeding pair are about 4 years old now and the female is about 3.5" long and very fat. The male is about 2.5" and much thinner in appearance.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com