New fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to add a new fish to my tank and was wondering if u guys had any suggestions. It's a 55 gal FOWLR and is currently home to 2 banggai cardinals, a six-line wrasse, a yellow watchman goby and a stars and stripes puffer. I'm thinking maybe a hawkfish or clowns but am open to suggestions.

Yes I know the S&S will get way to big for my tank but it's a long story and already have somewhere for him to go when he's too big. Plus he's freaking adorable.

I like the clowns too but everyone has clowns and the hawkfish are so different looking, especially the long nose.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

I see your missing a blenny! Everyone has a blenny lol

Seriously though, have you considered a school of cardinals and/or a blenny?

I know everyone has clowns but you could also get different clowns. They make them in all colors and stripe variations. I have a pair of b&w's and misbarred oscellaris' pair.

I like the Long nose Hawk myself. Mine has personality and lets you know it's his tank just by look'n at him.

Mike73 said:
I like the Long nose Hawk myself. Mine has personality and lets you know it's his tank just by look'n at him.

How easy to care for are the hawks. Do they require any specialized feeding, or anything above and beyond normal care? I've heard they have great personalities.

They do like shrimp and crabs so if you have them in your tank you might want to reconsider a hawkfish. Each one is a little different so make sure you do your research on the particular one you are wanting.

I really want to but I'm afraid my puffer will make a snack out of him. Do the shrimp and goby have to be similar sizes? Bc my goby is small and I'm thinking if the shrimp is big enough my puffer will leave it alone. Ive been tormented by this dilemma ever since I got the goby.

I've got a Blood Red Fire Shrimp and a Banded Coral Shrimp anlong with Electric Orange and Electric Blue Hermit Crabs and he hassn't bother'd them at all and I've had the set up for over 2 years. Maybe I've been lucky but I would give it a shot if I were you. I feed mine mysis shrimp and I also give him bits of whatever I feed my Anemone's, like peices of sliced up squid, scallops or shrimp that you can get at the supermarket and just freeze what you don't use. Be careful when you feed him though cuz I've read they are prone to jump out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom