New Fish for New Aquarium!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

protokix22

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I finally got my tank up and running and fully cycled, and I have my first round of fish in there. It's a 60 gallon tank with a new and improved wet/dry filter. Right now I have 2 ocerllaris clownfish (I wanted to start slowly, make sure everything was working properly). They're doing fine and all the levels have been right for about 2 weeks now.

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on which fish or how many to add. Also, when should I add another round. I want to keep it a community tank, so peaceful fish are best. Also, since the tank it relatively newer, and I'm a newb, I should only be looking at fish that are easy to care for.

So here's the big question. Anyone have any fish they've had, or have heard that are perfect for a newer tank? I've seen recommendations for firefish, coral beauties, and a few blennies, but is there anything else (preferably with nice colors) that anyone reccomends?

I was in the same boat as you were just a few months ago.We started with 2 clown fish.Then we added a Damsel but they seem kinda aggressive so i'd be careful with that breed of fish.Blue Hippo Tangs do well in the clown fish,Gobies..any peaceful tempered fish should be good.

I love wrasses!! Most of them keep to themselves even though it'll say semi-aggressive. Royal grammas, candy hogfish, firefish, and anthias are all good choices too. I'm not sure about tangs in a 60g - it might get alittle stressful in there :)

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. Now I was looking at chromis, apparently they're easy to keep and school which would be awesome. Now if I went that route, how many should I get. And if I did that , should I add any others? Like I said, this is a newer tank, so I don't wanna overload the biological filter.

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. Now I was looking at chromis, apparently they're easy to keep and school which would be awesome. Now if I went that route, how many should I get. And if I did that , should I add any others? Like I said, this is a newer tank, so I don't wanna overload the biological filter.

I heard here somewhere that it is best to have an odd amount. :)

I love wrasses!! Most of them keep to themselves even though it'll say semi-aggressive. Royal grammas, candy hogfish, firefish, and anthias are all good choices too. I'm not sure about tangs in a 60g - it might get alittle stressful in there :)

agreed. no tangs

Okay, so right know I'm leaning towards getting 3 Blue/Green Chromis. I saw somewhere they get agressive towards eachother (much like damsels). I've read a few different places that they usually end up picking eachother off until there is one left. Is there any truth to this?

Look at cardinal fish. Also school but kinda hang and don't swim a lot. Scissor tail gobies will swim a bit more and also school. Chromis don't seem to last long in my opinion. At least, 3 can become 2 or 1 for no apparent reason.

Okay, well here's another option. Do you think a royal gramma, and two firefish would be a good addition. I'm thinking of keeping it to three fish max, so I don't overload the filter. Any thoughts?

That could work, but you will have to add those firefish at the same time, otherwise they'll fight.

protokix22 said:
Okay, well here's another option. Do you think a royal gramma, and two firefish would be a good addition. I'm thinking of keeping it to three fish max, so I don't overload the filter. Any thoughts?

Royal gramma would ne perfect addition

Okay thanks guys. I'm pretty sold on a royal gramma, and two firefish. Another question, I have a wet dry filter, and I've noticed at night, the powerhead spits out a lot of really fine bubbles (at least I'm hoping they're bubbles and not tiny particles). The water of the tank gets cloudy and slightly green at night too. I've read this is a bacteria bloom, which is a sign of high nitrates. I plan on doing a water change tonight, my nitrates are currently around 40, which I know is really high. Anything else I should do? And is the wet/dry filter spitting bubbles/particles something I should worry about?

Back
Top Bottom