Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New fowlr - stocking

I have had my new tank up and running for 3 weeks now and after a small ammonia/nitrite spike the first week I added 6 astraea snails. So far so good. My next step is fish. It's a 30g/20g sump fowlr with a small skimmer.

Here is my current idea for stocking:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 shrimp goby and shrimp
1 lawnmower blenny
1 or two other brightly colored fish of some type - maybe a pygmy angelfish as one of them

How does this sound? Also, should I add the two clownfish as my next addition? If not, what?

Carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Lawnmower blennys feel largely on natural algae off of your rock. They can be tricky to get to eat prepared foods. It is probably best to take this one off your list. They do better in larger systems where they have more space to graze.

In general you want to add the most aggressive/territorial fish last. Clowns can be very territorial once they find their "spot" in the tank. I would add your goby first since they tend to be more timid.

As far as the 1 or 2 other fish i would probably plan on just one. It will depend on what fish you end up putting in but in general i would guess that 5 fish in that sized tank will be setting your self up for trouble with aggression or water quality down the road. Just make sure you add the fish very slowly so that your tank has plenty of time to adjust as your bioload gets bigger. I would say probably 1 fish per month max. The more established the tank is the better it will handle the new additions.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #3

Would a goby be hardy enough to withstand a minicycle? Should I also add the shrimp at the same time?

I'll come up with something else instead of the lawnmower blenny.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its hard to say if it would withstand a minicycle. There are a lot of different factors that would contribute to that i guess. Why are you worried about a minicycle?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

Because I'm not totally sure whether my biological filtration is totally up to snuff. I only had a very small ammonia and nitrite spike.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can add some fish food to the tank every day for a couple days and watch to see what happens to the levels. Don't add a ton but what you might expect you would need for about 2 small fish. Your clean up crew will love it and it will add a ammonia source so that you can make sure your filtration will take care of it with out a minicycle. Just keep an eye on your nitrates while you are doing this. May require an extra water change or two.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #7

Might try that. I was a bit worried about the snails at first but since they've been in for two weeks with no ammonia spike I'm probably safe. However I don't think they'll eat the food, they won't venture off the rock or walls.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah if its been two weeks past your cycle your probably ok. Yeah i didn't look what you had in there for a CUC. The astreas are herbivores and won't eat left over food. You may want to consider getting a couple nasarius snails or a few dwarf hermits (red or blue legs) to eat left over food. Don't need a lot or else they will starve.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #9

Well I'm going to try adding a little piece of an algae wafer every three days or so. The snails might go for it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah they should eat that and it will help to provide a source of ammonia for the tank. Did you start with cured LR or LS when you started the tank?

Tags
fowlr, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com