New Guy Here with More Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trameltanz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Long story short:

About a year ago I finally got the guts to start a saltwater aquarium. This has taken me about 19 years of deciding. The reason why it took so long was the cost. I remember setting up the 10gal FW with the little external box that stored carbon and filter fiber that was run with an airpump in it. My Dad used to help with this. The fish were cheap and you had instant results. But it was the Saltwater that always captured my eye. Dad always said "that stuff is way too expensive and I have NO CLUE how to run it". That statement made the curiosity worse. So, over the years I have looked into putting something together...and I did. I started with a 20gal with no top and a Fluval 204. The spark was a nice man with a bunch of SW stuff in his house. I eventually got two eheim canisters, 60gal tank, a wet/dry, powerheads, 60gal acrylic, test kits, hose, air pumps, salt and more crap than I knew what to do with. I got all this stuf for 50 BUCKS! So the quest began. Since then, I have unknowingly cycled the tank a few times learning how to clean the filter(s), feeding the fish, and stocking with live rock. Soon that 20gal was WAY too small and I went into the garage. Soon I was assembling something that looked like a bunch of dirty crap into a new system and the lights started to turn on in my head. I assembled a canister and before I knew it I was cycling the 60gal, purchasing more live rock, and adding damsels to the fire. :- )

Now, the 60gal has been up and running for about 3 months. I hate to admit it but I have brought death to a few fish and invertabrates. I was not prepared for this even though I tried.

My newest update is an addition to my filtration. I wanted only fish and live rock. Something for my daughter and I to enjoy together and we both can learn at the same time. I finally got fed up with leaking second-hand equipment. I bit the bullet and purchased a ProClear 125 with a Mag7 pump. It has only been a week but my water has NEVER been so immaculate in its whole 3 months. This is still a young system, I know! But, I have some plans for the future!

how about a pic... keep reading there is a lot to learn on the site.. Ask any quetions, we have a lot of folks here willing to help out.
Take things slow and read, read and read some more..... Slow is the key..

I have a Pro clear 150 that I modified a bit. I removed all of the bioballs and the tray they sat on. Then I filled the chamber a little over half full with LR rubble. It is a much better filter media then bioballs. You will have to raise the water level in the sump to cover the LR rubble. I have a couple pics in my gallery if you would like to see what I did. It would be good timing since you have just installed it. Switching now can be done without much disturbance to your biofilter.

the easy way is to go to a host site and then post he image link in a post.
I use photobucket.com
you don't have resize with PB either...
it gives you 3 links to copy and paste after you upload a pic.. copy the last one and paste in a post here.. that is very easy..

Thanks seaham!

Here are the images. Please disregard the dates. My camera runs through batteries and I get annoyed with resetting it all the time.

1st pic
img_671980_0_4f7f5b77f1c439f61b8a6c6da060e16c.jpg

This is the whole gang

2nd pic
img_671980_1_efd9f9536eca2442bc7a342242063cc0.jpg

This is the "the urchin in question"

3rd pic
img_671980_2_f8e1211c0fae2387c85c4a67b5b6c222.jpg

This is "This is my small polyp "culture" *wink*

May I recomend a book to pick up- The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (Robert Fenner) It is an excellent read for anyone beginner to intermediate, and it's quite inexpensive for such a large book.

I have to admit something.

My water has NEVER looked this ~FINE~ in my whole life! I had struggled with the water and the cycle for about two months! I was using just one eheim2213. DUH! What a dummy! So I got REALLY excited with all the pieces and parts in the garage and I started a frankenstein eheim2215. A couple weeks later I bit the big one and implemented the ProClear.

My PH stays a consistent 7.8, ammonia0, nitrate0, and nitrate0-5.0ppm

I am very well aware that I am jumping the gun by about 3 months but I am SO happy to be able to leave my lights on as long as I want and feed my fish as much as they need without having to worry about algae blooms or detritis in the gravel.

YES! The little black fish is a Percula. I thought he was the coolest thing when I saw him at the store. He was $10 cheaper than the orange guys too. "DISCRIMINATION hurts everyone" LOL

I think he is the coolest thing in the tank. He will eat ANYTHING. He sits back and eats the chunks that float his way. He is not picky when it comes to food but he can have an attitude when it comes to his space. I am hoping to pick up an anenome that will host him in a couple of weeks.

i wouldn't recommend an anenome just yet. if i read right, you said that you've only had the tank up for a couple of months, right? usually they need a well established tank to live in, usually recommened of at least 1 year. i didn't want to bring your hopes down because you're off to a great start, i just don't want you to waste you money on something as cool as an anenome for it to just die. also, maybe i missed it or something, but what type of lighting do you have? they need pretty good light, so that may be a factor as well. but your tank does look very nice. keep up with the good work.

My lighting:

I have two 10k bulbs. They are both CoralLife. One is Actinic and the other is plain 10k. I have VHO Ballasts (i hope i spelled that right). I got the tank, top, and stand second-hand. The man before me made his own setup to accomodate VHO bulbs. I have not yet invested in one because I am considering upgrading to a 100-125 gal setup. Money is a factor with school starting in a few weeks.

*another light bulb going on*

Spending a few bucks on a bulb wont hurt too bad. I know both ballasts function because I am have both plugged in with my current bulbs using both ballasts. I am hoping to let this setup settle a bit before adding complicated inverts. Its nice to have a foundation to work with though.

I appreciate all encouragment!

Thanks for taking the time to write

-Jason

Back
Top Bottom