Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi
Just a long shot and don't take this the wrong way but in ur pic of the xp3 the lever in between the pipes is up that needs to be down otherwise no water will be pumping!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any form of carbon in your filter? Either regular carbon or Chemipure? Part of the purpose of carbon is to clear the water up and remove odors.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As far as the lever, I know I have the pump shut off right now as a clap broke on the return hose and leak got about 10-15 gallons of water. Arrrrrrrrrr. Always something. I don't have anything in the filter right now as I need to add the sand and live rock, but I didn't like the look of the water so I haven't done it yet. I'll pick up some and try that first. Thx for all the input too.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey taz.. i went thru the exact same thing as you did with cloudy water..
I filled my tank originally with plain tap water to check for leaks in my plumbing to and from my sump to my DT. After my leak check i drained the whole thing and wiped out both my display tank and my sump (no chemicals at all)..

After that i started filling the tank with ro/di water that i made here at home.. I had absolutely nothing at all in the tank but my protein skimmer and return pump and after 2 days or so my water got cloudy.. I dont know why either ..

So, i just started to mix in my salt and i let that run for 2 days to mix up in my tank with my heaters on at this point..

I then put in my sand/live rock/base rock and a couple of shrimp 3 days ago to start cycling the tank and it is still cloudy but it has gotten a little better everyday..There is just a little cloudy water now after about 8 days from the initial start up of the tank..

I couldn't find any answers to why the tank was cloudy right from the beginning and i looked all over the internet..

There was Plenty of info why it gets cloudy after you throw all the sand rock and everything else in due to algae or not rinsing your gravel or sand properly , but i didn't find much help in figuring out why it gets cloudy with nothing at all in the tank.. I will keep you posted on how my turns out.. Im hoping for the best and it seems to be cycling the way it is suppose to right now.. GL
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Add Chemi pure like Been said.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

for me im just using a octopus 160 protein skimmer right now.. I wasn't sure if the charcoal would slow down my cycling of the tank by removing the ammonia to quickly.. I am going to get a reactor with carbon/gfo once im thru cycling

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com